FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish  (Read 85260 times)

VegasIce

Re: Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish
« Reply #30 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:11 PM »
 Myself and some buddy's were wondering about the Gillette fishing lake being drained and dredged to 20 ft. and the talk of an upstream settling pond? the paper here has been mum on the situation lately. The last we knew the DEQ was wanting more water study done on the donkey creek that feeds the lake. I guess, is it in the plan to do the work this summer since it was postponed from last summer? And is there going to be any public or sportsmans input into the fish species to be stocked once the project is finished?

WGFFishBio

« Reply #31 on: Apr 22, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Myself and some buddy's were wondering about the Gillette fishing lake being drained and dredged to 20 ft. and the talk of an upstream settling pond? the paper here has been mum on the situation lately. The last we knew the DEQ was wanting more water study done on the donkey creek that feeds the lake. I guess, is it in the plan to do the work this summer since it was postponed from last summer? And is there going to be any public or sportsmans input into the fish species to be stocked once the project is finished?
Good question. It is our understanding that the city of Gillette will not drain and dredge Gillette fishing lake until sometime in 2012. We have provided comments about the project but this is solely a city of Gillette project. Any specific questions about the project should be directed to the city of Gillette (they know more than we do). When the draining and dredging happens, we will likely take advantage and renovate the fishery. As far as the fish, we plan to continue with the popular catchable trout stocking program and potentially add yellow perch, bluegill, largemouth bass, and channel catfish. We considered walleye as well, but Gillette Fishing Lake is too small for walleye to work.

Hope this helps

VegasIce

« Reply #32 on: Apr 22, 2011, 09:42 PM »
I for one would love to see the bass, prech and blugill if the panfish can be managed to produce "good" sized fish to keep. Just hope that it doesnt turn out like it is now with all of the almost bait sized sunfish. Thank you for the response!

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
  • "A larger flame-thrower, you will need."
« Reply #33 on: Apr 27, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Is there currently any provision for NOT CITING an un-licensed individual who takes small game or fish when in a legitimate and desperate survival situation? Should there be one or is it just common sense that one would do what is necessary to survive and Wardens will ignore the violation?  

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #34 on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Is there currently any provision for NOT CITING an un-licensed individual who takes small game or fish when in a legitimate and desperate survival situation? Should there be one or is it just common sense that one would do what is necessary to survive and Wardens will ignore the violation?  
WY G&F Bio answered on page 3 of the related thread below  :tipup:

Astros461

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Anyone know where i can get some shiners?

fishaholictaz

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 08:30 AM »
What kind of fish swim in Guernsey res.?
Take a kid fishing! 

Astros461

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Hmmm, good call, ill have to do some research.  Thanks.

Fishwhisperer307

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Whats the word on east allen lake

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Whats the word on east allen lake

Fishwhisperer307,

East Allen Lake was stocked in 2009 (10,000 cutthroat) and in 2011 (50,000 rainbow trout).  Sampling in 2009 and spring 2010 documented the collapse of the sport fishery.  Some of the factors suspected in the decline of the sport fishery were drought and resulting reduced water levels, hydrogen sulfide gas buildup, heavy algae blooms and eutrophication.  Most water quality parameters were unfavorable but still within tolerance levels for trout (e.g. TDS (total dissolved solids) was 8,000 ppm and pH = 8.5) on April 27, 2010. 

Run off from spring and early summer storms filled the lake in 2010 to over five vertical feet above its 2007 level.  Water quality parameters from EPA sampling in the summer/fall of 2010 showed some improvement, the TDS on June 15, 2010 was 5,032 ppm and when measured on August 3, 2010 the TDS was 4,107 ppm.  The improvement to water levels and water quality makes fish stocking feasible again, which is why 50,000 rainbow trout were stocked in 2011.  Hopefully these fish survive and East Allen Lake becomes a productive fishery for anglers once again. 

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

jopes

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 05:50 PM »
WY G&F Bio answered on page 3 of the related thread below  :tipup:

LT, where is the Answer to this?   I tried to find it but was unable to.

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 06:22 PM »

LT, where is the Answer to this?   I tried to find it but was unable to.
Off Topic Thread on the Main Site "Taking of Game/Survival Situation", reply #36 :tipup:

Fishwhisperer307

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2011, 01:10 AM »
Fishwhisperer307,

East Allen Lake was stocked in 2009 (10,000 cutthroat) and in 2011 (50,000 rainbow trout).  Sampling in 2009 and spring 2010 documented the collapse of the sport fishery.  Some of the factors suspected in the decline of the sport fishery were drought and resulting reduced water levels, hydrogen sulfide gas buildup, heavy algae blooms and eutrophication.  Most water quality parameters were unfavorable but still within tolerance levels for trout (e.g. TDS (total dissolved solids) was 8,000 ppm and pH = 8.5) on April 27, 2010. 

Run off from spring and early summer storms filled the lake in 2010 to over five vertical feet above its 2007 level.  Water quality parameters from EPA sampling in the summer/fall of 2010 showed some improvement, the TDS on June 15, 2010 was 5,032 ppm and when measured on August 3, 2010 the TDS was 4,107 ppm.  The improvement to water levels and water quality makes fish stocking feasible again, which is why 50,000 rainbow trout were stocked in 2011.  Hopefully these fish survive and East Allen Lake becomes a productive fishery for anglers once again. 

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

thanks a bunch really appreciate what you guys do on this site

wyreellifeguy

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 04:41 PM »
can you tell me more about what is going on with Middle Depression Reservoir and if there going to have to do more to get it back to the fisher it was use to do well out there but it just seems to have gone down hill in the last few years
Justin D.

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #44 on: Jun 06, 2011, 10:44 AM »
can you tell me more about what is going on with Middle Depression Reservoir and if there going to have to do more to get it back to the fisher it was use to do well out there but it just seems to have gone down hill in the last few years
WyoFarmer and I ice-fshed it late in the season, lots of birds on the open water out there, but sheesh! Totally nasty, milky water. We just pulled up and re-located  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.