FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cranberry Lake & Ranger School?  (Read 848 times)

bcons

Cranberry Lake & Ranger School?
« on: Apr 24, 2011, 01:43 PM »
I need a little help here guys, I know Ranger Sch & cran were topics of discussion on IS, hopefully there's enough of you here too  ;)  I have 3 boys, 2 of which are VERY interested in RS.  1 of which stores his fishing gear in his bdrm next to his night stand, surprized I haven't found gear under his pillow  ::)  He has ZERO online accounts couldn't care less about facebook, myspace, or anything else, to him the computer is nothing but an expensive MP3 player.  Often have to argue with him to come in outa the woods, or away from the neighbors trout pond.  Always been into science, animals, & the outdoors.   He can tell you the scientific latin name for darn near every dinosaur, animal, & fish that's ever walked.  We're looking for college op's that he'd both enjoy, while also providing a challenge & career op's he be happy with.  So we're going to Cran for the weekend next week, I believe staying at the Cran lake lodge, and doing the "campus tour"   First any truthful insight into Ranger school that's not recruiting BS would be greatly appreciated, second while there he also wants to fish.  We're not taking the boat, so will be shorebound, any tips, locations, etc?  Fishing the dacks & cran is all he wants for his B-day, which is friday we're leaving fri night, and this trip is all he wants so, need a little help, figured this was the place to ask. Thanx!
Jeff
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

adkbrookie

Re: Cranberry Lake & Ranger School?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2011, 02:55 PM »
based on what i saw this weekend i bet there's ice on just about everything still so good luck with the fishing, river's are high too...

i go to esf and am finishing up right now. i spent a few weeks at ranger school one summer for a class and know a decent number of people who went/are going/have gone. If what he is intersted is forestry and that bit then it seems like a good choice, supposed to be a lot of work but learn a lot of good stuff. nice area too. depending on what he is looking for esf in syracuse might also be a good option. i was by no means thrilled about the city part but i am pretty pleased with the whole experience. location also isn't bad, in an hour or less you can be to a good bunch of different places. durring deer season i would hunt at least part of a day, 4 days a week minimum.

something he should probably understand before he goes to ranger school is that girls are very few and far between up there... so given his opinion on such things he might want to consider looking elsewhere. that's one reason i never cosidered going there much of an option

when i looked at schools i also considered UVM, good school but a lot more $$$$, esf is a deal especailly if you are instate.

ADK Tank

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2011, 08:46 AM »
I graduated from RS in 01' and a lot of things have changed there since. If he wants a challenge he will definitely get one there and a majority of the class time is spent in the field but the technology part of it is changing too where computers are used more. For me it was an unbelievable experience that I wouldn't change for the world and you are in a great location there for outdoor activities. The director of the school is a good guy and I don't think he will lead you in the wrong direction if he doesn't think it's for your son. I don't think you will find anyplace in the northeast that is anything like this school. Paul Smith's might be another one to look at but you will get more of the college campus life there than at RS.

Take the tour and then pm with any questions you or your son have and I will do my best to answer them and one of my buddies younger brothers graduated there last year so I can ask him questions too for a more recent experience.

bcons

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Thanx for the help & info  :thumbup_smilie: 
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.