FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Do It Yourself" Boat and Canoe ideas  (Read 16533 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
"Do It Yourself" Boat and Canoe ideas
« on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:24 AM »

Time to bring out the Handyman and Tinker'er in you. What are the best things you have done to tinker with your boat or canoe?

Have you built or rebuilt one? What contrivances have you created to store, transport, use, fine tune and adapt your boat or canoe? RG will likely find this topic. He doesn’t seem to miss much (posts or fish) and will hopefully share about his floating tackle box.

I plan to make a front mount for my Eagle Fish ID II transducer for attachment to my canoe. I have clamped it to the side before, but the arm that is used to extend the transducer into the water will angle backward from the water pressure when moving, so all I end up “seeing” is that behind me. I figure with the built in delay the screen has, all I am “seeing” is the fish I already missed. Plus, with the angle, I am not receiving an accurate read on depth.

So what “Do It Yourself” accessories have you made? Post a pic and show off your handiwork.

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter

Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Cider

Re: "Do It Yourself" Boat and Canoe ideas
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:29 AM »
I am always trying to come up with gadgets to customize my Old Town Discovery 160k 16' canoe.

I wanted a way to mount a trolling motor to it and didn't want to pay for one of the standard commercial mounts, so I made my own out of red oak.

I will take some pics of it later tonight and add them to this post.  I think I have about $20 into my mount bracket and most of the commercial ones are between $60-100.

I also plan on making an anchor system on pulleys so that I can anchor the canoe bow and stern when I am by myself.  Other plans include making some camo tops for it so that it will double as a goose/duck blind.

reelcharacter

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2004, 10:00 AM »
Thanks Cider,

I think my fish-finder front mount bracket should clamp to the canoe bow for removal when not needed and during transport. It should drop into place for verticle use and flip up out of the way to prevent running aground. I could run the transducer cable inside one of those water pipe insulation "tubes" that hardware stores carry. This would keep the cable out of the way and could be clipped along the side, to the rear or middle of the canoe.

Have some scratches to take care of first (as is noted in the thread I started in a seperate topic within this section). Will have to take some before / after sanding and buffing pictures.

Have not attempted using my 17 footer by myself before, but may have to give it a try.

Will look forwardd to seeing your pics.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 10:05 AM »
Hey, I didn't get a chance to take pics last night.  Will do it this weekend.  I have taken my 16' canoe out by myself.  It works if you use a five-gallon pail full of rocks or something to put in the bow for ballast.  Otherwise, you will have to sit in the center of the boat.

I have tried it with just me in the back and no additional weight and it is really hard to control the canoe in even the slightest wind.  Not to mention you lose a lot of freeboard in the stern!

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:07 PM »
When solo paddling longer canoes I just turn the boat around and paddle from the "forward" seat. This technique helps balance/freeboard and makes it easier to maintain a course in wind. Best of all, it costs me nothing. ;)

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:23 PM »
Colorado - my canoe is nearly symetrical on both ends.  The front seat might gain you a little freeboard when alone but not much more.  It is still going to be hard to handle on a windy day or in current of any sort.  Guess I don't follow what you are saying.

Old Town Discovery 160K

Length: 16'
Width: 40 1/2"
Width at 4" Waterline: 37"
Depth: 15 1/2"
Bow Height: 24"
Weight: 84lbs.
Capacity: 1100lbs.

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Cider,

Your canoe photo clearly shows a middle seat. I failed to take that into account. The canoe I used (an old Coleman) only had two seats.

I turn the canoe around (making the stern the bow), and paddle from the seat that is positioned nearest the middle (facing the direction of travel). Also dropping to my knees and positioning my lone self even more towards the middle in windy conditions.

While this technique may not be ideal it does net a noticable improvement in stability and will allow a solo paddler to make better headway than remaining in the aft seat.

I once suggested this to a guy (from my sea kayak) who was obviously having a hard time soloing a canoe on a windy day. He told me that someone from the concession where he rented the canoe expressly told him not to paddle "backwards" from the "wrong" seat. I think it would have helped him and still think so. I can see where a novice would be instructed not to change positions while under way and that could have been what the renter thought I meant.

I just wanted to suggest something I'd used as a help on a windy day and to let people know that the bow and stern are interchangable on most canoes.

I apologize for any misunderstanding due to my hasty post.  :)

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2004, 04:53 PM »
Cider,

Your canoe photo clearly shows a middle seat. I failed to take that into account. The canoe I used (an old Coleman) only had two seats.

Ahhhh, now the fog is lifting!!!  ;D  Yes, for your type of canoe that makes perfect sense!  I would do the same if I had said canoe.  Guess I am biased into thinking that all canoes have a middle seat!  Just my mindset...

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
Re: "Do It Yourself" Boat and Canoe Ideas
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Cider,

I think we are on the same page now!

Thanks for your feedback.  ;)

crappieloo

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2004, 06:22 PM »
I made a side clamp-on transducer-rod holder for my canoe. Works ok, but i dont use the flasher(fl-8) very much anymore .
crappieloo

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2004, 07:40 PM »
I've always toyed with the idea of making a personal pontoon boat.  I think standard 8" or 10" duct piping would work, but don't know how I could secure and leak-proof them.  I suppose rivets and silicone would work, but wouldn't be secure enough for me.  The stuff is galvanized.  Can you solder galvanized metal?  Brazing maybe?  I like the ones out there, but they run anywhere from $250-$750, and I don't like the idea of rubber pontoons.  I think I could fill the pontoons with expandable foam and then attach my platform to the top.  Any suggestions guys and galls?

kero

reelcharacter

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2004, 12:08 AM »
Was thinking about something like this the other day.

How about it all you handy-guys, any boat builders with suggestions or experience out there?

-Reelcharacter

crappieloo

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2004, 04:07 AM »
I know a guy that uses a tractor tube, rigged with a seat and tackle-rod holders.
crappieloo

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2004, 06:40 AM »
The trick is displacement. You need enough flotation to support the total weight and stabilize whatever platform you choose. I've concidered 12 " pvc as pontoons for a small personal watercraft. I've seen pontoon boats made from 24"pvc pipe used in Florida for crappie boats.

The problem with pvc is you're pretty much limited to end caps to seal the ends. The pontoons would plow through the water making it difficult to row.

It's really hard to beat the production models for quality and design.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

livin4ice

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:22 AM »
RG, It may look a little goofey but if they made a 45 degree fitting for that PVC you could put that on and then cap the top of that.  That would give the front and back a curved surface at least.  It would also give you four flat mounting points for the framing or decking.

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.