FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crawfish for bait?  (Read 2124 times)

GraniteStateJoe

Crawfish for bait?
« on: Jun 21, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Just curious if this would be good bait for anything. Its all the luck I had in my minnow traps:(

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
Re: Crawfish for bait?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2011, 08:52 PM »
does a bear crap in the woods?
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

GraniteStateJoe

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2011, 08:55 PM »
lol. I was hoping for shiners but the crawfish ate all the food so there was only one shiner.

nhpikeking

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2011, 08:56 PM »
yea pretty much the best live bait for bass or pretty good to eat  for yourself
I've fished a million places and I've rocked em all

Oddfish

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Just curious if this would be good bait for anything. Its all the luck I had in my minnow traps:(

That's what's refered to as bass candy!  They spend a fair amount of time overturning rocks and small logs trying to get at those bugs.  Hook it thrugh the carapace or tie it on so that it can still use it's tail to swim and bounce that across the bottom.  Also as noted quite tasty table fair.  If you want to up your catch and end up with a few eels also put in some bacon.  Tie it in!

Oddfish

newfoundpleasure

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2011, 09:42 PM »
They are also a great bait for Rainbow if the presentation is right.
It is said the most prized Rainbow meat around the world is what feeds primarily on crayfish.
The Rainbow meet takes on an even pinker, tastier flesh.
Google it.

I'll try and find a post here where one of the rainbow I caught had digested crayfish in the stomach

NB

GraniteStateJoe

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Is there a way to keep them from getting in the trap. Maybe suspending it in the water?

Clams

• All day, every day!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2011, 09:26 AM »
newfoundpleasure.... That's interesting about the rainbows. I personally think the same with Stripers. The ones with crabs/lobsters in their belly taste better for some reason.

I've heard of a study done giving a largemouth bass the choice of a baby bluegill/ or crayfish. The bass took the crayfish 24 to 1.

GraniteStateJoe..... What are you going to fish for?

GraniteStateJoe

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Originally I was getting shiners to go for some browns but now that I have the crayfish and no shiners I am heading to the river for some Pike.

Clams

• All day, every day!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2011, 10:53 AM »
A large Brown would eat a crayfish (if not too big). River browns love them.

james

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2011, 11:55 AM »
I think most  fish like them over shiners. when i had an aquarium I had some big Oscars in it and i would feed them crayfish as a treat. when you dropped one in they would never make it to the bottom. ;)

Clams

• All day, every day!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2011, 12:31 PM »
James, that's funny. When I was little, I would catch crayfish by handnet and trade them with a local pet store. They had a large Oscar named JP that lived in the store. It knew us by sight, and would start swimming back and forth in the tank until we gave it it's treat, we would hand feed him at the surface. (watch those fingers) ;D

GraniteStateJoe

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2011, 02:16 PM »
I am goin to have to give them a shot in both places then. My fiance said she would try a couple if I boiled them so I will keep the big ones for her and the rest will hopefully go to the fish. Better luck on the shiners next time. The crayfish ended up eating the lone shiner I had caught:(

Sinnian

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Try to keep the crayfish in the trap in the river/pond until you are ready to use them.  They make more of a mess in a bait tank than the shiners.
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.