FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: looking for help choosing a boat  (Read 3375 times)

smokey

looking for help choosing a boat
« on: Jul 19, 2011, 03:34 PM »
My girlfriend doesn't like sitting in a canoe all day. Its too uncomfortable for her. Something about a painful back. I don't know. Whatever. But I see it as an excuse to buy another boat and have a project. Just a few quick, straight forward questions.

What is more stable? A jon boat or a row boat?

Is a 10 foot boat big enough to comfortably sit two people, plus gear, all day? I need something small and light enough to launch by hand. Most of the places I fish, trailers aren't an option.

What size electric trolling motor would I need to run a ten or twelve foot boat? My 35lb thrust motor can push a 17 foot canoe most of the day on one battery at more than enough speed. would I need a bigger motor?

O

Re: looking for help choosing a boat
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Smokey,
I like the way you think....it's all about making her happy! ;)

I would think either boat would be a step up from the canoe. The row boat will be lighter because you will likely find it made of aluminum, most Jon boats would be made of steel. I've never seen one made of anything else. The trolling motor would be more effective with the lighter boat as well.   

There are lots and lots of good used boats for sale, if you could find a 12' alum that you can move around yourself, it would be a nice boat for a lot of years and a lot of places.  And if you are "just thinking about her" you may soon have a third little person joining you on your excursions!

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2011, 08:22 PM »
1st take a look @ cabelas sitbacker (sp?) seats. I have a set and they make it easy on my back.

2nd . . . what kind of fishing do you do? A jon is great for small water and stable for standing. But a v will move you around at speed better.

smokey

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2011, 05:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys. I ended up settling on a 12' row boat. Its an early 60's Elgin. Not a single leak in it and I can load it in and out of my truck by myself. It feels to weigh no more than 100 lbs. I picked it up for $350. I think thats a pretty good deal for what I got.

smokey

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2011, 05:04 PM »
And I also bought a set of seats from Cablelas. I haven't put them in yet, but they seem pretty comfortable.

jtk2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I got a little aluminum boat for free a few years back. Had some leaks that I plugged up pretty well with 5200 and then painted the bottom with 2 part epoxy paint. Worked out pretty well. Can load and unload by myself from bed of truck, though it is a pain. Holds 3 ppl but fishes better with 2. Love that little boat. I bet u'll be pretty happy with yours
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.