FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Squam  (Read 2447 times)

61gun

Squam
« on: Aug 04, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Was fishing Squam today w/ Gorrilla Head (Forry). Fishing was slow, we picked up 3 or 4 green fish and dropped 2 good line screamers. We were trolling by another fisherman and his buddy, so we hollored over and asked if he had any luck. He yells back that he had doubles and then he bends down and holds up one tank of a salmon!! He yelled over and said it was 9lbs 12ounces!! Not saying it was and not saying it wasn't but I am saying it was one very, very impressive fish!!

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
Re: Squam
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I'd believe it! Lost a Big one there last year...snapped my line (8lb test) By no means saying that it was that Big but I have No Doubts there are some trophies in there... Look forward to a pic possibly in the future?  Heckuva Fish! ;)

deerme

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2011, 07:48 AM »
wow what a monster!  there are some huge salmon in that lake.  i've yet to have the pleasure of fishing it...sooner or later...

check out these babies from squam...

http://www.cut2spec.com/squam%20big%20john.htm

JIGGIN

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:16 AM »
i've yet to have the pleasure of fishing it...sooner or later...

Be careful on Squam, as it can be a navigational nightmare if your not familiar with the lake. Do yourself a favor and get one of the topo maps (one of the best depth map in the State, I believe) or GPS. Tons of very big boulders in the lake.

FYI,

JIGGIN.
Go Go Get Em!

deerme

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Be careful on Squam, as it can be a navigational nightmare if your not familiar with the lake. Do yourself a favor and get one of the topo maps (one of the best depth map in the State, I believe) or GPS. Tons of very big boulders in the lake.

FYI,

JIGGIN.

so i've heard!  i have an HDS w/ the navionics chip that provides pretty good detail, but i'll still be VERY careful out there....

newfoundpleasure

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Squam is the main reason I purchased an old aluminum bowrider with small outboard.
I wouldn't be as worried about hitting rocks with an old hull while I learn my way around the lake.
Maybe in 7 years I'll be ready for something newer.

NB

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:16 PM »
so i've heard!  i have an HDS w/ the navionics chip that provides pretty good detail, but i'll still be VERY careful out there....

Just like in On Golden Pond in "Purgatory Cove" :D. In all seiousness...Yes lots of humps, island with lots of large boulders right in the middle of the lake where you'd thinkit was a lot deeper than it actually is.

deerme

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:27 PM »
LOL here's a clip from the navionics pc app.  it looks like there may be a couple hazards in squam  :P :P

61gun

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Just like in On Golden Pond in "Purgatory Cove" :D. In all seiousness...Yes lots of humps, island with lots of large boulders right in the middle of the lake where you'd thinkit was a lot deeper than it actually is.

Big Squam is the best advertising for Cannon Digi troll down riggers. I would not dare fish that lake the way we fish it without them. Navionics or a chart is a must, but if you really want to dig into that lake and not loose equipment or tackle those are the riggers for the job!! The bottom tracking feature will save you $$$$$

huntr-

• Fish deep and fish often.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I've lived near Squam for 47 years and believe me Big Squam is an adventure at times but it keeps you on your toes.Fishing can be real hot or real cold but its always interesting. Good electronics and reliable charts. Lots of rocks !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.