FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shorted out my 1979 70 hp Johnson, any troubleshooting help?  (Read 1778 times)

pikie

Took the kids out in the boat a few weeks ago.  I wasn't paying attention and they ended up pushing the top of the battery box with the paddle against a metal light post grounded to the hull of my aluminum boat.  The battery box has the pos and neg terminals exposed.  Heard sparks, and by the time I figured out what was going on and stopped them there was smoke rolling out of the cover of the engine.  My fault for not knowing boats are wired like cars and putting the battery anywhere near an exposed grounded chunk of metal.

After grabbing the fire extinguisher, and taking the cover off, the smoking was done, and there was nothing obviously wrong.  I waited for about 10 mins, then tried to start the motor, fully expecting it not to do anything.  The motor turned over just fine, but never fired at all. 

Had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago (1 week after the almost boat fire), so I'm trying to be smart about what I do here.  Mostly having friends help me try to diagnose.  I checked the fuse, not blown.  My next step is to check for spark in any of plugs.  I don't see anything burnt.  Been reading a manual on the same type of johnson (my manual goes up to the 60 hp 2 cylinder, where mine is a 70 hp 3 cylinder).  Looks like there are a ton of electrical components that it could be.  Anyone have any advice?  Turns over well, but I'm thinking since it didn't fire at all, that none of the plugs are sparking. 

Also borrowed a puller that might work for the flywheel, and once I find socket big enough, I should be able to pull the flywheel. 

Thanks for any advice you might have. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.