FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question about a Ted Williams 9.9 Motor  (Read 4490 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Question about a Ted Williams 9.9 Motor
« on: Mar 23, 2012, 07:10 PM »
My buddy just bought himself a small 12' aluminum boat and now he has the chance to purcashe a Ted Williams 9.9 motor for $150. He believes it is a 1979 and in good running condition, and wants to know if thats a good deal? or if there is anything he should look out for?

I personally dont know anything about these, and said I would post to see if anyone could help?

Nor Easter

Re: Question about a Ted Williams 9.9 Motor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2012, 02:22 PM »
That's a tough one to try and answer. Ted Williams, Sears and Craftsman never made their own motor, they were always re-branded names from Eska, Chrysler and other brands like Briggs and Stratton etc... If you go here:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/product-types/Boat-motor-Parts you may be able to find the motor your friend is looking at.

But one big thing to consider. EVERY motor it seems from Sears usually has no spare parts available for motors of any significant age and they were always an oddity so you will not find many spare parts junkyards either. So if it EVER develops a problem, from overheating due to an impeller, to other parts needed such as points or coils, to lower unit problems,,, it will essentially turn into a 'boat' 'anchor' if you get my 'drift' (plenty of puns to choose from here, take your pick  ;D ).

I've dabbled on many outboards in my day, even as employment now and then, and we ALWAYS steered clear of anything Sears, period. You can get an older 10HP Johnson or Evinrude for the same money and have parts available should any be needed even though they are out of business, there are still many available parts to keep those old motors going for many years to come.

Synopsis?
Tell your buddy to throw his $150 in a campfire, because that's what it will be like...
And get something else instead...  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.