FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: White perch VS. Yellow perch  (Read 12728 times)

J.BlueFish.J

White perch VS. Yellow perch
« on: Apr 14, 2012, 02:12 PM »
What are the differences between White perch and Yellow perch other then color?  (1) Habitat (2) How to catch them. etc? ???  

Thank you for any info. :)

HTguy on ice shanty

rude the dude

• when can we go again?
Re: White perch VS. Yellow perch
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2012, 02:44 PM »
plenty of perch slayers on here, you should be getting some good imfo soon, good luck.8)

monkeyman2269

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2012, 02:54 PM »
Taste and white perch are better fighters

Nor Easter

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Yellow Perch are wormy runts >90% of the time, while White Perch are usually bigger and rarely wormy <5% of the time.

That should give you clue what I choose to pursue...  ;)

Alex D. Large

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Some people will eat yellow while most will eat white.

Baydog

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2012, 04:06 PM »
White perch are generally larger and are not native to fresh water. they are a saltwater fish that has been stocked in a lot of freshwater lakes. They are a member of the bass family being closely related to striped bass.
Yellow perch are native to freshwater and have also been stocked or moved to many lakes and ponds in Maine. Generally they do not grow as large as whites, but a quick look at world records would prove that they both max out at about the same size. yellow perch are actually members of the perch family and are closely related to walleyes.

bailey63

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Over in NY we target yellows they eat great and  if out of deep water or cold water not grubby at all. Guess it comes down to your location as to preference of the 2. I have never eaten a white yet, maybe i should try a few to see how they taste.
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2012, 04:52 PM »
The meat of WP is a little softer than YP. YP are actually pretty firm and mild flavored. WP are bigger and so have a decent meat yield compared to the general pop of YP.

Whites are native, like landlocked salmon, and more widespread. There are related to stripers and are used to hybridize stripers for inland aquaculture. YP are native to. I don’t know there origin as far as ancestry of species. They are related to walleyes, etc.

I much prefer the flavor and texture of YP. To me, WP are a little strong.  BUT the grubs in YP are a definite turn off. (I used to cut saltwater fish for a living.....So I can tell you I’ve seen about every parasite out there. ) One lake: I caught a few decent YP that were nearly all “clean”.  A friend took me to a pond where there are YP commonly >10”. About 1/3 are cleanish. About 1/3 are full of grubs >>>>>into the compost pile. The other 1/3 are case by case. I’ll pick a few grubs out or toss em into the compost.

All I have time for atm. 
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.