FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone have plans for outboard stand?  (Read 5783 times)

fishaholic1970

Anyone have plans for outboard stand?
« on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:08 AM »
I need to replace backboard for the out board, as it is dryrotted. Along with replacing the carpet, and rewiring the trailer.Any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thankx.

fozsey

Re: Anyone have plans for outboard stand?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2004, 02:48 PM »
First off welcome to MFF. There aren't a lot of members posting here right now. Most have gone over to Iceshanty.com.

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but from what I can infer from your post you want to replace your transum in your boat and need a place to hang your outboard whilst your working on the boat. If this is the case I have an idea for you to consider. Make yourself a sawhorse out of one 2x6 or 2x8 and 4 legs and hang the motor on the sawhorse. We've done this many times and it works very well as a portable outboard motor stand. Let me know if this is what your looking for and if not be a little more specific and I will try to help more.

Brian

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2004, 04:30 PM »
I need to replace backboard for the out board, as it is dryrotted. Along with replacing the carpet, and rewiring the trailer.Any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thankx.
Sounds like what I need to do too. Thanks for the info fozsey, on the saw horse stand.
fishaholic1070, welcome, too. there are different websites that help explain replacing the transum. what kind of boat do you have to fix, fiberglass? there is a molding that you can take off and then dig the old rotten stuff out, measure, make new backing, sealling, replacing the molding. It is a long process. Hoping that I can get a way with not doing mine.  :-\
most of us MFF are on IS awaiting the ice.
check it out www.iceshanty.com
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

fishaholic1970

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2004, 07:13 PM »
Thank you fozsey! Thank you camo fish!  The boat is alumminum, but has wood on the inside. The transum as you called it fozsey, is dryrot. So the motor is loose. A job I can do, while I wait impatiently for the ice to form. Its gotta be done before spring anyway, nothin better to do till the hard water return's camo fish. Gonna make a horse . Thankx again. Creep carefully and tight lines!

fozsey

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2004, 03:47 AM »
Glad to help. FYI, When you replace your transum make sure to get the right plywood. The plywood in boats isn't just CDX plywood. There is a differnece. If I remember right marine plywood uses fiberglass resin to make it waterproof. It also makes it much more costly. Although I personally don't see anything wrong with using pressure treated (green or brown) lumber from your local lumber yard I would never put ordinary construction grade plywood in a boat. Not even in the transum. Untreated lumber wicks up water (even from the air) and you will be replacing the same parts again much sooner.  ;)

turkeyhunter10ga

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:41 PM »
Hey Steve , how did the transom go ? Have you got it done yet ?
Another idea for a portable mtr stand is to use a 2 wheel dolly and mount a board up high by the handles , makes it easy to move around if you need to.

What Foz said is correct , do not use standard plywood , marine is the best even tho it's more costly. Even the treated plywood is not the same , but can be used if you really want to.
The way it was explained to me a number of years ago , when i needed to do the same for my old boat was : That there are plugs ( those lilltle football shapes) in the plywood that will allow the water or moisture in and let the wood start to rot that much faster.
If you do use just treated plywood , i would seal it using a varnish or poly-urethane to be safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.