FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Should I Replace or keep a 1999 30hp motor?  (Read 3127 times)

O

Should I Replace or keep a 1999 30hp motor?
« on: Aug 01, 2012, 09:03 PM »
What would you do? I have a 1999 mercury 30hp motor4stroke on a Lund Adventure boat. Motor runs pretty well and is sized well for the boat. I had to put around $500 into it last year because of clogged carburators.  Love the boat and layout!

What's missing for me is foremost power tilt/trim, and secondly electric start. I can add a power trim unit for around $500 and the motor starts on second or third pull warm, sixth or seventh cold.

So, should I replace with a new motor at around $5000 and sell the Merc for $1500?, $2000????

If replace, what do you suggest? I have been looking at Evinrude because they don't require winterization (if I understand the literature correctly).

Thanks for input!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Should I Replace or keep a 1999 30hp motor?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2012, 09:54 PM »
It seems like motor swaps always end up being a loosing proposition. It may just be me, but the one on the back of the boat always seems to fetch a pathetic price and the one in the dealership commands top dollar. Maybe consider trading the whole boat off of selling it to someone who would appreciate the weight savings of the rig.

Maybe hang onto it until spring now, boats sell better and for more dough. Fishing is pretty much done for the fair weather crowd now. Football is starting up and hunting seasons are creeping up quickly.

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2012, 06:40 AM »
Appreciate what you have!  Lund is a rock solid boat and your Merc has proven itself over the years!  Why get yourself into a financial situation with a new motor or a new rig?  If it isn't broke, don't fix it!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

O

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2012, 05:14 PM »
I do love the boat, I searched a long time for the right boat at the right price,  and have no real issues with the motor.  I am just sick of tilting that heavy motor up by hand every time I want to put the mooring cover on or pull it out of the water.  I am not as young as i used to be and sometimes have back issues.  Plus I use the motor more often than the electric up front to adjust to a shoreline or position the boat where I want it. 
At any rate I am not looking to do this right away.  I' ll look for a "steal" over the winter and watch prices over the winter for selling used motors.  I've seen several used 30s going for $2000 on Craigslist.    I am end up using cabelas points on a power tilt and trim, they go for around $500

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.