FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2-Cycle Outboard Maintenance?  (Read 3241 times)

Chucker

2-Cycle Outboard Maintenance?
« on: Mar 20, 2005, 12:27 PM »
My wife's family has a camp with a johnboat and rowboat, and there's an old 1974 4HP Evinrude that doesn't see much use.  I'd like to do what I can to keep it running in good shape, and get the most out of it that I can.  I picked up a new hose & bulb along with a 2g plastic gas tank for it yesterday.  I plan on using Opti2 this year instead of dino oil. 

Any other tips and tricks for tuning and maintaining it?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: 2-Cycle Outboard Maintenance?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2005, 01:13 PM »
use good quality gas, add sta-bil to that gas, check the fuel filter, pull the prop to check for monofilament and debris...

troutman

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2005, 02:37 PM »
Use good oil. I would change the water pump impeller; it’s probably soft by now. Have a couple spare sets of spark plugs on hand. Clean the strainer on the fuel tank. Have your lower unit seal check to see if water is not coming in the lower unit. Grease all fitting on motor. Back to the water pump impeller, if you see a steady stream of water coming out most of the time its ok. When these things get soft the water is a little hotter then normal, this will ruin a power head in a few yrs. change it every 3 yrs if it needs it or not
Ray

crappieman12887

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2005, 08:58 PM »
 being that it a 1974 it has points it would not hurt to throw a new set of points and condensers in it this is an important part of a tune up and you should also change the thermostate that is another part poeple overlook all the time and it would be a bad idea like said before to but a new water impeller in the old girl proper tune up is under a 100, bucks,and should make her run like new again,bill

Chucker

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2005, 07:20 PM »
Stopped at the gas station on the way to camp, and mixed 25:1 Plus grade gas to Opti2.  She cranked up pretty well weekend before last, and went for two laps around the lake.  Hesitated once, and revved high-low-high-low a few times before cutting out, even though the throttle wasn't touched.  Popped the top off, and cycled the throttle wire a few times to show the wife I knew what I was doing  :whistling:, and it cranked right back up and ran better than before. 

When I get the chance, I'll try to do some further tinkering to tune her up, but she's running pretty good for now.

Chucker

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 02:00 PM »
Talking to myself again.... Picked up a copy of the Seloc repair book for it today.  Mebbe I'll get ambitous and bring her home next winter for a full overhaul.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.