FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tunk Lake  (Read 3834 times)

toguetaker

Tunk Lake
« on: Mar 25, 2005, 02:03 PM »
    Has anyone fished Tunk early and had any luck.

gamefisher

Re: Tunk Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2005, 06:18 AM »
Been lurking around for a while, both here and IS,  and thought it was time to jump in and offer some info.  Tougetaker - I live in central maine now but most of my fishing takes place in Hancock or Washington county.  Have spent countless hours on Tunk and would summarize it as SLOW but it's the POTENTIAL that keeps you going back.  Heck, the scenery is enough for me!  It is definirely worth a shot early as it will be one of the first to clear from ice.  From the landing, try the second point and shoreline beyond Sand Cove.  You will catch 5-10 togue these days per 1 salmon.  The state really needs our help to take some of the wild togue out of there to restore the salmon fishing.   Can you keep a secret - orange pink lady or wood special - trolled FAST!  Good luck and let me know how you make out.  Enjoy it while you can.  Bass are now real prevelant in Round Pond, the head of the Tunk drainage thanks to some idiot and are in Little Tunk.... just a driver nine iron away!  Death penalty for all illegal stockings.

deerhunter

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2005, 07:02 AM »
gamefisher is right. slow but can produce. try that left shore. have done well there early with lead line and mooselooks.

toguetaker

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2005, 07:29 AM »
 I am going to try it early, maybe at ice out. I want to go back and find the rock that has all the paint off my boats bottom on it. :'( I decided to try and launch before daylight last fall and found hard bottom.  Caught a few nice fish so I guess it was worth it.

gamefisher

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2005, 10:05 AM »
Yeah I meant to mention that rock thing in my first post but forgot.  You should be fine in the spring but later on it becomes a right, left, right type of thing.  Once you get out by gull rock pretty smooth sailing.  Also, if you ever make it all the way down towards the tail, theres a rock down there that's quite partial to lower units as my buddy found out last summer.

Backwater_

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2005, 11:10 AM »
I am looking forward to hitting it in a month or so.  It should be good this spring.

gamefisher

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Backwater - the way you catch fish you could probably catch a few on top of the ice after this rain!  Followed that whole Sebago thing and didn't think you and your crew got their full props... 200 plus fish registered total and you guys got 40 of them... full moon to boot... amazing feat in my book.

Backwater_

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:04 AM »
Well, I try real hard to get people on fish.......I like to have a sure thing when I go out.  It would be kind of tough to get the boat out there right now, but in a month or so, the fishing should be pretty good with a sewn smelt on the old fly rod. :)

toguetaker

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:56 AM »
 I have had some good days at Tunk trolling a grey ghost on a floating fly line. Anyone else got any recomendations? I will have to use the sewn smelt as well.

gamefisher

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:58 AM »
I know what you mean Backwater.  I have my guides license but rarely do anything with it.  With a young family and a "real job" that requires me to work a lot of weekends, I prefer to go with my friends or family when that rare opportunity presents itself.  I have been fortunate to experience alot of what this great State has to offer and now get a bigger kick out of my 4 year old with her Snoopy pole in hand.  Funny how that seems to work.

P.S.  Talked to my buddy who lives in Cherryfield - thought that she might go fast with some warm weather and more rain.... keep your fingers crossed guys!

toguetaker

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2005, 09:07 AM »

P.S.  Talked to my buddy who lives in Cherryfield - thought that she might go fast with some warm weather and more rain.... keep your fingers crossed guys!

I will be taking a ride down by the boat landing this weekend to check things out. Will post on Monday with any news..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.