FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Poll

What bait do you consider your most productive bait for catching bass in your area?

Live Bait:  Minnows
28 (7.1%)
Live Bait:  Crawfish
9 (2.3%)
Live Bait:  Other
21 (5.3%)
Topwater
41 (10.4%)
Crankbaits
29 (7.4%)
Tubes
36 (9.1%)
Lizards
13 (3.3%)
Plastic Worms
119 (30.2%)
Other Soft Plastics
42 (10.7%)
Jig-n-Pig
14 (3.6%)
Spinnerbaits
30 (7.6%)
Surface Fly Fishing
2 (0.5%)
Subsurface Fly Fishing
1 (0.3%)
Other
9 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 389

Author Topic: "Most Productive Bait for Bass" Poll  (Read 77581 times)

Hood

Re: "Most Productive Bait for Bass" Poll
« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2006, 04:13 PM »
wooly bugger...seems the bass arent real picky for anything particular and cause great premature jubilation while trout fishin til ya realize theres a stinky on the end of the line....the few times i have targeted them its always with live bait and have found small sunnies and crayfish deadly
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

beerman

• mmmm..........Beer!!
« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I had to put other b/c it really doesnt matter!! anyone of those catch bass. I think i could print out this thread, fold it up into a fish looking shape draw some eyes on it and it will catch a bass. 
I'll have a double Jack and Coke!!

TR19

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 12:06 PM »
I've got to agree with Big Red on this one. Any day, give me a 1/2 or 3/4 oz. black rattle back jig with pork or plastic trailer. Not only the best bait for bass, but best bait for BIG bass !!!!

Carpking

• lunker
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Gillmaniac asked me to post this poll for you all.  We'll keep it here for a while to get the maximum response, then we'll move it to the Bass section in a couple weeks.

Personally, I view my entire tackle selection as my arsenal.  I don't use live bait for bass simply because I've never felt the need to do so.  I've always been pretty good at finding active bass, at least enough to keep me interested, and also have been able to trigger inactive bass to hit when it seems that others may have trouble.  Knowing the habits of the type of bass that you're after, the habitat and food chain, and the lake or river structure is a huge plus.  Being able to adapt to find fish is often the best attribute of a bass angler.

When I target lakes that I have experience on, I focus on patterns that have worked in the past as my starting point given the time of year that I'm fishing.  Once I get an idea of the conditions that I'm dealing with, I begin with my preconceived patterns (based on experience) to see how productive they are.  If they don't produce in a reasonable amount of time, and I am confident that fish are there, then I adapt.  Often I'll begin with search lures like spinnerbaits or perhaps a grub or super fluke on real clear lakes.  But I will have to say that my most productive lure in the past for numbers and limits of keeper sized bass has to be in the plastic worm category.  Big spinnerbaits are a good big fish bait as is the jig-n-pig.  But, every trip can be different.  Tubes, Senkos and Flukes are often productive and can turn a bad day into a good day.  And, don't be afraid to try new things once in awhile.  If you have a new product or technique to try, do it when the fish are active so you can fine tune it.  When fish become inactive, that same pattern may work with some minor changes, but trying it on a bad day may give you lack in confidence in that technique.  If you think about it, most of us have based our experience in lure preference based on success on good days.  If we catch less fish or no fish on that same lure later, we blame it on the fish, not the lure, because we "know" that lure works.

Also, within different species of bass there are differences in their lure preferences.  My largemouth arsenal is somewhat different than my smallie arsenal in my region.  My core largemouth lures are spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, plastic worms, jig-n-pigs, super flukes, Senkos, and topwater plugs (popper and walk the dog style).  I'll carry some other types of baits depending on the characteristics of a lake that my dictate that.  Weedy lakes may change my overall selection a bit, or perhaps gin clear water.  For smallies in the rivers in my area, spinnerbaits, smaller buzzbaits, popping plugs, tube jigs, plastic worms, plastic grubs, Senkos, super flukes, hard jerk baits and tiny torpedos are my core arsenal depending on the time of year.  I've learned to fish all those baits and with experience have determined approximately when and under what conditions to use them.  Let the fish tell you ;)

So, you can see that this is a tough vote for me! ;D
Live bait is probably the most productive, although i don't use it often. This is a broad catgory and different baits work better than others in certain waters. I like plastic stickbaits early in the year such as sluggo or flukes, but spinnerbaits are productive as well. i switch to plastics and tubes as the water warms and weeds begin to grow. well this is too broad of a poll

keva

« Reply #34 on: Jul 26, 2006, 11:58 AM »
Other plastics here! Senkos work great so they would be second.  I love bush hogs as my best bass fishing day ever was when I stuck with them. That day I caught 3, 3 1/2 lb+ keepers when no one else managed to catch a single keeper. I consistently have good days with them and they have found a permanent home in my box.

Bassassasin12

• NY bassin Assasin
« Reply #35 on: Oct 05, 2006, 02:56 PM »
Gotta go with plastic worms. These things revolutionized fishing and by far catch more fish than any other bait. Sometimes they arent the right tool for the trade but when they are needed they always come through.
Fish when I can where I can because I can.

Eye Hunter

« Reply #36 on: Oct 05, 2006, 09:18 PM »
I don't fish Bass much but when I do it's hands down the Venom, Salty Sling. with a # 2 circle hook, hooked in the center. WACKY STYLE   ;D

badlab1

« Reply #37 on: Oct 15, 2006, 02:35 AM »
I've got to say with out a doubt a spinnerbait is most productive for me. Maybe not for the big guys, but to cover a lot of water fast to find em. I prefer big Colorado blades for dirty or stained water, and double willows for clear. Color doesn't seem to always matter.   

Rumrunner

• I think we're leanin'........
« Reply #38 on: Apr 17, 2007, 02:58 PM »
Purple worm with a white stripe. 

M.I.R.C.

lexapro_saves

• blues are #1 in my eyes
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 11:12 PM »
hi kinda new to the fishing slang been fishing 40 years only used night crawlers catch about anything from pickerel to bass to bullhead and panfish must be luck  ;D id like to
learn more about different kinds of bait
life going to happen anyways so you might as well sit back,relax and enjoy the ride!!

fish_finder

« Reply #40 on: Jun 19, 2007, 12:31 PM »
I like other plastics in particular yum soft craw bugs ...the smallies in the rivers and clear lakes we fish here just love them ...also like a 3-4 inch smoke twister tail
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

mttrout

« Reply #41 on: Jun 19, 2007, 01:05 PM »
Not a whole lot of experience w/ bass, but most of them I have caught have been on a good old nightcrawler. Seen some pigs taken on fly rods....san juan worm and wooly buggers.

toy4runner4x4

« Reply #42 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:03 AM »
weedless rat, rubber worms texas rigged.

anthonyebola

« Reply #43 on: Jun 29, 2007, 12:33 PM »
weedless rat?

fish_finder

« Reply #44 on: Jul 01, 2007, 05:27 AM »
weedless rat?

Probably the same ones i use for pickerel in the weeds..its hollow and completly weedless, i think Mann's makes one and so does Snagproof, and also strike king

Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.