FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: coloring raw bucktails  (Read 5737 times)

griff

coloring raw bucktails
« on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:40 AM »
I have about 60 deer tails and was wondering if anyone has tried dying there own bucktails?

Boomer

Re: coloring raw bucktails
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:13 PM »
I have been told this is not very hard to do. I, too, have considered doing this. I have heard of using Kool-Aid and vinegar???  Probably need to ask either on here or a flyfishing website how to do this.  I would be interested in your results.

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Uuum, ya, drink the kool-aid.  Dye the tails with this http://www.ritdye.com/.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2013, 02:52 PM »
x2 on the Rit fabric dye. I've dyed dozens of tails for tying musky bucktails.

All the colors come out excellent except black . >:( The orange is very bright, the chartreuse is outstanding, brown is deeply fabulous and grey is right where I like it. Even red comes out a nice deep scarlet. Black? A putrid purplish, greenish crappy mess.

Don't ask me why, I've never found an answer. My tails are squeaky clean to start. I've done salt, vinegar and hot baths. I even cooked a batch right off the skin trying to get a nice totally jet black. For cryin' out loud, the standard for musky bucktails is black. I'll bet black outnumbers all the other colors combined and I can't get there. I finally resigned myself to either trading or selling the ones I could color for the commercial black. If you come across a secret and share it with me I'd be forever in your debt.........

That said, just a few of experience points:
  • Make sure all dirt, fat and blood are cleaned from the tails you want to color.
  • Salt will not have a negative effect on coloring with Rit dye. I think there's some salt right in the stuff. Some extra salt helps the tail take and hold color.
  • I've used an old Dutch oven (or similar) on a camp stove outside. Heating dead animal parts in the house does not go over well......  ::)
  • Don't overcook 'em. Hot water is good, boiling not so much, see above..... I have "recooked" some that either didn't turn out well the first time through with success
  • Some vinegar in the solution helps set the color

That about covers it. Hope this gets you going in the right direction. Good luck with your project!

/m

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.