FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Emergency repair kits  (Read 4341 times)

hardwater

Emergency repair kits
« on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Trying to get all the bases covered.  I think I have a pretty good kit, but always looking for additions.

wire cutters/crimp
electric tape
shrink tube
assorted butt connectors
test light
crescent wrench
spark plug wrench
spark plugs(kicker and main)
shear pins(for two engines and electric troller)
multi-tool
jumper cables(can jump off my trolling motor batteries(i hope)
spare main prop
spare bilge pump
spare boat plugs

What else are you guys carrying?

OTIS

Re: Emergency repair kits
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2013, 06:40 AM »
Great thread!  I'm always adding to or removing things from my boat box.

I'd add fuses (I seem to go through a LOT of these, both round and flat), zip ties, flat and philips screwdrivers, good set of pliers (not a fan of the multi-tool), and a prop wrench.  Duct tape never hurts either.  Maybe a lighter or heat source for the shrink tubing.

I know for my Merc 60 I need quite the setup to remove the sparkplugs (wobble extension on a universal joint).  It's not something I would feel comfortable doing out on the water (I have a pontoon).
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

hardwater

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2013, 01:43 PM »
I actually do carry fuses, a flat and phillips screw driver, zip ties and a lighter in my kit, it seems I overlooked those items.   ::)

Between the multi tool and a few good pairs of fishing pliers on my boat, I just stick to those. 

I like the duct tape idea, you never know, I might have to toss in a roll.   I shold get a prop wrench too, crescent doesn't work to well for that job.

BIGCREW

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I think a pair of vice grip pliers comes in handy a flashlight and some oars in case all else fails,and spare hose clamps and some mechanics wire doesnt hurt either,when I had a motor boat I used a ammo box as my emergency kit there waterproof and dont take up much room

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2013, 06:11 AM »
Duck tape is good, Gorilla tape is even better... Even works with stuff that is a little wet.

Hose clamps are a good thing to have.

hardwater

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Hose clamps! Great idea.  I need a few, actually had one go bad on me last season.  It was on a fuel line, had to limp in and lose two hours to go get a set.   Will be adding for sure.

A flood light is done I've recently added too.  I have head lamps all over, so no need for a flash light.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2013, 02:55 AM »
Zip ties!
4 way screwdriver
Emergency starter rope with handle

I also have a small dry bag with a fire starter, space blanket. flares. AA batteries, waterproof matches and Advil.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2013, 06:56 AM »
I keep a first aid kit, garbage bags, blankets, jackets, bug repellent, sun screen, dog treats, water, dog bowl, towels, and cleaners on board.  The nice thing about a pontoon is there's lots of room!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2013, 07:52 AM »
Super glue.  It also can be applied to cuts as an emergency bandaide too.

d4ng3r3ux

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2013, 06:12 PM »
dont forget the trailer. with all those things no room to put tackle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.