FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Time to start planning the summer trips.  (Read 2856 times)

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Time to start planning the summer trips.
« on: Apr 21, 2013, 11:26 AM »
Just booked the long Memorial day weekend at the state campground on Lake Umbagog, one of the remote/boat in sites on the east side of the lake. Last time we fished it late spring / early summer the smallie bite was on fire... Hoping to see it like that again this time. Kind of a bummer that you can't bring your own wood to any state camp grounds any more... gotta buy it from them or it has to be shrink wrapped bundles that have the companies name and location it was kiln dried, because of that invasive beetle they found... I think it goes after ash trees? Not that big of a deal I guess but stinks to buy it at premium prices when I've got cords of it stacked and seasoned right at home. Anyone else gonna be up there that weekend?

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Time to start planning the summer trips.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2013, 09:30 AM »
I'm gonna be not far from you, a little upstream actually! Spending Memorial Day weekend on Richardson Lake in Maine. Will be hunting for salmon and brookies.

So you can't even bring wood from in state anymore? That sucks. If I were you I would plan on a remote site and bring a bow saw with you. You say not that big of a deal, but when we camp, we can go through 5 bundles a day easy. At 5 bucks a bundle you are talking some serious money for a long weekend. I know they don't like you burning downed wood, but come on, what is the harm. The wood ban for a beetle is stupid actually, because there will be no way you can stop it. It's just a matter of time.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2013, 11:08 AM »
Nice, not far up river at all... Good luck on the salmon and trout. We stayed on Umbagog twice last year, 3 times the year before and finding downed wood is a task... usually it's picked clean. Remote site 15 last year looked like someone had brought their vacuum and cleaned the forest floor lol. Could barely find kindling. At the very least we will be stowing away a couple arm loads of peach or apple wood... I'm not grilling over a pine fire, good way to ruin the taste of anything.
I cut half the wood I heat my house with off my land and buy the rest from a local guy... I think he has a shrink wrapper so I might see what he can do for me, We'll probably stay on Umbagog 4-5 more times this year so I'm going to see what he'd charge me to shrink wrap a half cord into bundles.

whitewing

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2013, 03:55 PM »
You may want to re-check the firewood ?. The state web-site indictes that campfire wood restrictions only apply to out-of state sources. In state firewood is OK.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2013, 04:46 PM »
You may want to re-check the firewood ?. The state web-site indictes that campfire wood restrictions only apply to out-of state sources. In state firewood is OK.

That's the previous years law... An invasive beetle was found in NH this year.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/pest-alert.pdf

Dispy

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Interesting..as I read it, "from sources outside New Hampshire State boundaries prohibited"   perhaps I am incorrect in interpretting this. Meaning illegal to use wood that is not from NH ???
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Interesting..as I read it, "from sources outside New Hampshire State boundaries prohibited"   perhaps I am incorrect in interpretting this. Meaning illegal to use wood that is not from NH ???

The lady I spoke to at the Parks dept. said it is prohibited to bring wood into the state parks boundaries and not to bring wood from southern NH unless packaged accordingly.
I thought of it the same way you did when I first read it... that's why I called the Parks dept. I do intend to check with the Umbagog camp hq after they open on May 2nd to see what they say.

whitewing

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2013, 07:14 PM »
The first conferred case in Nh for the emerald ash borer was off of hall st In Concord. My understanding is the ban only applies to ash firewood from merrimack county.

dunphy11

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2013, 04:01 AM »
I thought you couldn`t bring wood out of Merrrimack county, but could bring it in.
I`m pretty sure out of state would has been banned for some years.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:27 AM »
Yes, out of state wood has been banned for a while. I'm just passing on the info that was on my reservation receipt (it was never on any other reservation I've received in previous years) and what the NH Parks lady told me when I called and asked about it. She was very specific about not bringing wood into state parks... Maybe she was wrong, I'll find out when the Umbagog campground opens in a couple weeks.

Dispy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2013, 06:29 AM »
I thought you couldn`t bring wood out of Merrrimack county, but could bring it in.
I`m pretty sure out of state would has been banned for some years.
Yes since 2002, 2011, this has been the law. I just pulled this current 2013 info for NH Parks and Recreation..

"•Firewood is a major carrier of exotic insects and tree diseases. PLEASE do not bring firewood from out of state locations."

Full source>>>   http://www.nhstateparks.org/experience/camping/camping-policies.aspx

An interesting topic 800Stealth :) Thanks for raising awareness to this issue, as we too, camp alot in the summer. I do not dispute the message you received, but think the "lady" may have been mis-informed :)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

dickbaker

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2013, 07:35 AM »
Yup!  Its formal.  "Emergency Quarentine"   No hardwood to leave Merrimack County until the quarentine is recinded.    "Firewood" is described as split or unsplit less than 4 ft. in length, not labeled as "heat treated" by USDA or State Regulatory Agency.

Dick

Dispy

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Yup!  Its formal.  "Emergency Quarentine"   No hardwood to leave Merrimack County until the quarentine is recinded.    "Firewood" is described as split or unsplit less than 4 ft. in length, not labeled as "heat treated" by USDA or State Regulatory Agency.

I am not sure where you found this Merrimack County quarantine, however, a statewide "quarantine" exists and it correlates to the import of firewood from other states into NH- translation "out of state">>>>> http://www.nhdfl.org/library/pdf/Forest%20Health/exterior-firewood-quarantine.pdf
A map of accepted  Compliance Agreement states bordering NH>>>>http://www.nhdfl.org/library/pdf/NH_Firewood_Quarantine_2011.pdf

I see nothing on exporting of firewood from 1 NH county to another ;) Can you provide your source Dick? I only ask so as to become more educated in this matter. Thanks in advance.

dickbaker

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:27 AM »
 ???  Tom,  Refer to  www.nhbugs.org

A notice that was just emailed to NH foresters. 

Dick

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Yes since 2002, 2011, this has been the law. I just pulled this current 2013 info for NH Parks and Recreation..

"•Firewood is a major carrier of exotic insects and tree diseases. PLEASE do not bring firewood from out of state locations."

Full source>>>   http://www.nhstateparks.org/experience/camping/camping-policies.aspx

An interesting topic 800Stealth :) Thanks for raising awareness to this issue, as we too, camp alot in the summer. I do not dispute the message you received, but think the "lady" may have been mis-informed :)

I never took it as you disputing anything with me... I welcome any info or thoughts on the subject, and I hope Whitewing and you are correct as it sure would save some hassle...
Perhaps Supervisor may be able to shed some light on the subject, haven't seen him post anything yet this season though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.