FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My small hometown in the news  (Read 2874 times)

TroutFishingBear

My small hometown in the news
« on: Apr 02, 2005, 09:05 AM »
The fossil of a completely new animal--rat-sized and termite eating--that lived when the dinosaurs roamed has been found in Fruita, Colorado, report Reuters and The Associated Press. The critter seems to resemble an armadillo and would have survived by eating bugs.
Officially named Fruitafossor windscheffelia, the animal lived some 150 million years ago and is not related to anything that is alive today. Reuters notes, "Anteaters, armadillos, and other creatures that dig up insects evolved their specialized abilities several times during the history of the world. This is known as convergent evolution."
The mammal had hollow, tube-like teeth that had no enamel and used them to suck in its prey and swallow it whole. Its forelimbs were used for digging, just like today's aardvarks, anteaters, and armadillos, explains AP. It most likely ate termites, other insects, invertebrates, and plants. Termites, just like thier close relative the cockroach, evolved millions of years before Fruitafossor windscheffelia lived. The discovery has been detailed in the journal of Science.

And you know what the cool thing is? One of my friends was on the  dig when they found this fossil. They found it in a dry wash.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: My small hometown in the news
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2005, 09:26 AM »
That's pretty cool, sounds like its an ugly little thing! :P
 Those are some weird sounding teeth, hollow and tube like!

The nicest fossil that I ever found was a prehistoric fish, about 7inches long, I sold it to my Earth Science teacher 2 years ago. :D

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2005, 07:43 PM »
We've found a few dinosaur bones before. I live in the dinosaur capital of the USA though, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. Everything is dinosaur in fruita, our circle park (center of town) has a dinosaur model in it. It gets old after a while.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2005, 08:00 PM »
We've found a few dinosaur bones before. I live in the dinosaur capital of the USA though, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. Everything is dinosaur in fruita, our circle park (center of town) has a dinosaur model in it. It gets old after a while.
Better than ours, I don't think we have anything special, except lots of history, which is nice. New York only had one dinosaur in it, a small one, and it wasn't common. We have more trilobites and stuff like that. ::)

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Hey, that's pretty neat, TFB!  You're lucky to be living in an area of such scientific interest.  I grew up in Alberta, and often went to Dinosaur Provincial park and Drumheller to go through the Tyrell museum, and always enjoyed it.  Later I took my sons out that way and the youngest found a 1" tooth of a something like a Velociraptor that was serrated like a steak knife on the back edge. (Shhhhh...... illegal to pick up bones).

perch pounder

• Keep on poundin'
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2005, 02:06 PM »
We also found out how fragile fossils are ............. :'( ;)

So that's why they wrap them in plaster .

here  fishy , fishy , fishy.......

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2005, 02:00 PM »
Thats kool... :P
GIT _ R _ DONE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.