FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crew/Rowers  (Read 2239 times)

william berger

Re: Crew/Rowers
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 11:08 AM »
That sounds pretty annoying but it's something that I haven't really encountered in New York. Instead I see something that could be more annoying- jet skiers and speed boaters on small ponds literally just speeding in circles around the lake or speeding back and forth across the lake because the lake isn't big enough for jet skis and fast boats. Anyone have an idea how to get that banned?

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 11:14 AM »
That sounds pretty annoying but it's something that I haven't really encountered in New York. Instead I see something that could be more annoying- jet skiers and speed boaters on small ponds literally just speeding in circles around the lake or speeding back and forth across the lake because the lake isn't big enough for jet skis and fast boats. Anyone have an idea how to get that banned?

Complain to your local water law enforcement stating that the situation is unsafe. Also try to determine if there is a speed limt on the water bodies you are referring to.

william berger

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 12:10 PM »
That sounds like a good place to start. It really isn't safe, or even reasonable. They literally zoom across the lake, turn around and zoom back across. It takes less than 10 seconds to get across. I know many similar sized lakes have restrictions that prevent gas motors or limit to 9.9HP. I wonder why this lake is excluded

Capt.Shay

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 01:46 PM »
I want to know how scull rowers can get away without having to wear life jackets?  Why doesn't the September 15 to May 15 Mandatory Life jacket law apply to them?  Hell, I'll bet they don't even have life jackets on board the sculls.  To me there is no difference whats so ever between a rowing scull, kayak, or canoe.

IMHO it's a mute point.  It is bad law, plain and simple, and I personally will not obey it.

I can legally swim out to my canoe but the minute I climb in to the safety of the boat I have have to put a life jacket on.  They can go pond sand on that one.
" Ya' can't catchem ifn yea aint got a hook wet. "

manitron

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Oh ,we have that here too.On one small pond in the Berkshires,one of the cottage owners tries to waterski behind his oversized speedboat.You can literally count to 5 before he has to turn or stop due to the size of the pond.In the old days before we got all "civilized" and beat down by lawyers, someone would have given him the ***whuppin he deserves .

william berger

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Those people really are pathetic- we have entire oceans with bays one can speed boat around in all day. The guys who do that really do think they look kool. I wish I could get a bill signed into law reclassifying small ponds like that with a gas motor restriction. Besides looking like ass holes they really do shock the ecosystem while they are speeding around. In the lake I'm thinking of, Lake Huntington, where the jet skis are now non-stop during the summer, it has had a noticeable impact over the last few years.

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49 AM »
I did speak with a EPO regarding the subject as it pertains to Quinsig. The permit for the race lanes is issued through the state access board. The crew representative do have the right to tell you where you can be while they race or practice. (western shore, no wake) The crew boats are to use other shore but traffic pattern on QRA.com suggests otherwise. They can also restrict access to Shrewsbury ramp based on races/events. South of the route 9 bridge there are no restrictions. There are races and events scheduled until the end of this month.

RULE# 32 Persons or vessels participating in coaching, practicing or training of rowing or crew must have distinctive identification as determined by the commision after consultation with representatives of participating schools. --from QRA website

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.