FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My first carp got me hooked! **UPDATE WITH MORE PICS, AND TIPS**...annnnd more  (Read 7955 times)

Poot

Re: My first carp got me hooked!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Nice lookin fishy there Icehole. I'm sure that was good fun!

Baitbucket

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 11:52 AM »
Next investment... A scale lol

Nice fish man!

ICEHOLE

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 01:46 PM »

my buddy got his first carp today...good 10 min fight on light tackle
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

ICEHOLE

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 10:40 PM »
so i figure since i scoward the internet looking for begginer tips, i will share what has worked fpr me for those who want to try but have not yet...you can just put canned sweet corn on a #6 hook and catch fish, but this is a better way. importantly search how to tie a hair rig, or "knotless knot" this is what it looks like

you will need a baiting needle to slide your bait up the line

hook the needle to the loop on the hair rig

slide the bait down the needle and past the loop on the hair rig

now you slide somthing into the loop to hold the bait on and pull bait up snug to the "stopper". most use "boilie stops" but i have just been using small snippets of elastic band

and this is what your baited hair rig should look like...make sure your bait is touching or close to touching bottom of hook (when making the hair rig do not be afriad to make loop end a little long because you can just wrap it around the hook to shorten it once bait it on

leaders are generally 15# or stronger braid and only need to be 5"-12" connected to a barrel swivel (without clip preferred because the fish will break off the clip) connected to a slip sinker on your main line, smaller the better considering you dont have to cast far in most cases

golden sweet canned corn works GREAT but i did buy a few new baits to try out. "boilies" are a favorite and come in a bunch of flavors. they make hookbait boilies and pop up boilies, pop ups float and are designed for a different rig, i got these sinking boilies for the hair rig and also got these HUGE pinapple flavored corn kernels

hope this helps someone get started, its worth it for sure!

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
Great info.  Thanks for sharing

roncarr

• THE BEST FISH IS ALWAYS THE NEXT ONE
Great info.  Thanks for sharing
x2 :tipup:
STRIPERS ARE MANS BEST FRIEND OR WORST ENEMY

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
that jumbo corn works really well, especially when bullheads are an issue.

ICEHOLE

bite was pretty good today...hooked four landed 2 and my buddy was 1for 2 . the smallest fish of the dau was caught on my phlueger ultraligh...fish was only 10lbs but felt like 50....loads of fun

fish on!

ultra light, ultra fight

my buddies fish after I left

Baitbucket

If you like fishing ultra light gear try going for shad with a 5ft ultra light and the little reel you got.

Its a BLAST! You get fish every cast when they are runnin.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
Nice. I got to try for them one of these days. Those head on shots are awesome.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

ICEHOLE

I still have not gotten a small one...its like they only come in one size haha...catching 10lb fish and saying "oh that's a small one" is an awesome thing. I wonder if the fact there are no pickrel in this water (very strange to me..only place I know without) nothing will eat the growing carp so they flourish

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
One question, do you not bait the hook?

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

lavaman

that awesome to see you hooked on carp fishing. some guys think im crazy for chasing them but you cant deny the fight these fish give. pm me if you ever want someone to hit the bugle mouths with. good efforts and great report. does the carp specific stuff work better than the store bought sweet corn?

ICEHOLE

I do not bait the hook..I bait the "hair"...but baiting a hook works as well
I bought boilies and jumbo pineapple corn and have been too impatient with it...I throw it out for 30 min and give up and go right back to can corn cuz I know it DOES work...one of these day I will fish woth just boilies and see...ill invite u next time I go!

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
I would think baiting both the hair& the hook would be best?

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.