FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappie Sunday  (Read 1417 times)

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Crappie Sunday
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:29 PM »
Hit up a nice pond with a pretty well established crappie population Yesterday to break in the new pan fish combo... A 7'6" St. Croix Premiere light casting rod with slow/moderate action and a Diawa Arid baitcaster spooled with 4 pound mono... I know it sounds crazy using such a light casting setup but it works like a champ. I really have to give it up to the new Diawa Arid reel, after a quick tune of the brakes I was casting 3/16 oz Rebel tiny R's and 1/4 oz Creams 3-4 boat lengths without a hint of backlash. I'm an Abu guy but this Diawa really has me impressed especially for $90, I think a couple more will be in my arsenal before the summer is up. Hammered the Crappie all afternoon though most were smaller ones the numbers were high, and just as we were getting ready to leave a nice 3 pound Larry put that light St. Croix to the test, it took a few minutes of playing her around the boat but still managed to get her in on 1 point of 1 tiny treble. Another great day in the sunshine...

PapaAthona

Re: Crappie Sunday
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Nice outing!

PapaAthona

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:18 PM »
On a related note I was testing out my new St. Croix mojo bass rods on Sunday.  What a difference.  Absolutely love them.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:39 PM »
I haven't tried one of the Mojo rods yet, but I've always been happy with the Premiere line. I do find that they rate their rods a little heavier than they are compared to most other companies... Mediums feel more like medium/light and lights feel more like ultralight.

PapaAthona

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 01:07 PM »
I haven't tried one of the Mojo rods yet, but I've always been happy with the Premiere line. I do find that they rate their rods a little heavier than they are compared to most other companies... Mediums feel more like medium/light and lights feel more like ultralight.

Yeah my Mojo Spinning rod feels light for a Medium rod.  The Crankbait glass rod I have feels a little heavier. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.