FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leaky Boat  (Read 3242 times)

BlindSquirrel

Leaky Boat
« on: Apr 07, 2005, 06:56 PM »
I have an old aluminum boat that is starting to show its age.  Water pretty much seeps through all of the rivets now, some more than others.  Is there anything that I can use to re-seal the boat?
How shall I amuse myself today?

big big rdg

Re: Leaky Boat
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2005, 10:20 PM »
I think that it would be hard to find all of the leaks but an epoxy like jb weld is super strong and would probably hold very well. If i were you i would check that out.....an inexpensive way to solve most of your problems.
FSHON!

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2005, 10:36 PM »
Hay try some silicone!!!
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

BlindSquirrel

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2005, 05:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice. 

I’m looking for a solution that wouldn’t be too time consuming.  The epoxy paint sounds interesting, I think I’ll  do a little more research into that.  I wonder if I coated the inside with a good truck bed liner if that would work?  At least it would be non-slip if it didn’t.  Otherwise the bailing can works pretty well for the effort.
How shall I amuse myself today?

cdc

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2005, 06:15 AM »
there is this stuff that is called "glove it"  works great....you can get it in the gallon form and you brush it on like pait...

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2005, 09:41 AM »
Do not do a job half a##ed do as Mac said and re pean the rivets it can be done in a couple hours. Also get some new rivets to replace some of the real bad ones. Aluminum boats take a pounding and putting on a quick fix is just that and won't last long. After you tighten the rivets and you want to paint the hull then do so, but running a boat with loose rivets will not be safe or will not last very long as the rivets will work loose and eventually either break or keep leaking. What I would do is fill the boat with water to just above the water line going seam by seam and look for the leaks. You don't have to re pean all the rivets just the ones around the area that is leaking. Then after you do this and you still want to paint the hull thats would be fine.
just my .02 cents
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

terrieb80

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Marine tech...................My father got it from a marina in florida.  I guess you can even put it on when the boats in the water.  Amazing stuff.  He used it to temporarly seal a crack between a water jacket and a cylinder wall of his old dodge van until he could get home.  Never had to mess with it after that and made several more trips to Florida in that old van!!

daffydone

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2006, 07:53 AM »
I would go with what Mac and coldfeet said, I did this with a boat I had, it worked very well I filled the boat with water after setting it on saw horses then I looked underneath for leaks, then I circled the rivets that were leaking with a paint marker, then I drained the boat and started re peaning the rivits. it took a total of about two hours, it's very easy and doesn't cost anything.

TJ

Boat repair
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2006, 12:56 PM »
"Borrowed" this from a fellow on another forum. This does work.

Quote:
"Depending what you are talking about, and how much you want to add to the weight of the hull, the guys at Free Spirit Marine gave me a great idea. First, get some Aluminum cleaner from a paint store. you have to get ALL the oxidization and oil off completely. You may wash with CLR and water, and follow with TSP and water, as well.
THEN, either take the hull to a truck bedliner company and have them spray the inside with the urathane coating, or go to Canadian Tire or NAPA and buy a few cans of their truck bedliner spray. either way, the stuff binds to the clean aluminum like you never beleive, and you can tap dance in the boat with impunity as you will have no noise on the rubber surface. Oh, the leaks will be sealed from the inside, and the urathane will flow around the rivets sealing them completely."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.