FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: O/T northern water snakes  (Read 2397 times)

haightdaddy

O/T northern water snakes
« on: Jun 22, 2013, 06:10 PM »
encountered my first northern water snake today. was fishing in the Merrimack area and was surprised to see a black snake with red marks on its underside sitting right next to me :o. are they common in the southern part of the state? first time ever seeing one. just wondering.. thanks! :)

AquaAssassin

Re: O/T northern water snakes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2013, 06:16 PM »
We have a ton of them around here in Dover, Bellamy reservoir Is loaded. They get pretty big.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

whitewing

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2013, 06:34 PM »
They are quite common. Harmless - you leave them alone - they leave you alone. Enjoy all that you find in the real world.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Harmless, unless you've got a hook in their mouth... That makes them angry.

haightdaddy

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2013, 10:44 PM »
Harmless, unless you've got a hook in their mouth... That makes them angry.
i'm guessing that would make most unhappy!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2013, 09:22 AM »
A harmless snake for the most part, but fiercely territorial if provoked! I found that out first hand. 

GraniteBass

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2013, 05:48 AM »
They are pretty cool. Once Jr and I had one baby one "attack" the 4 inch bluegill we just caught - the snake was at most pinky thickness.

There was no way that it could have fit the 3 inch diameter fish in its mouth. We watched it for a few seconds as it was coming to the same realization then we moved a little, it got scared and slithered away. Which was good since the fish was still hooked.

OutlawRedneck

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2013, 06:26 AM »
For the most part I like snakes, but something about a snake that looks like a viper that gets more than 4 feet long always puckers my anus just a bit when I jump them, or they jump me  ;D
"Because, there are just some things a man ought to do for himself"

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2013, 08:11 AM »
those are the only snakes ive seen in newengland that come toward you rather than head the otherway, i dont like them near the kids or the dog and ive had the dog pretty bitten up. pellet about dead center an inch and a half to 2 inches behind the eyes ;D i seen a little one attached to the leg of a big bull frog, the leg was completelty in the snake, driving into the yard it looked like a big lizard atfirst 8)

haightdaddy

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Definitely a snake you wouldn't expect to be living around here because of the size and colors. It has claimed one of my favorite fishing spots now :-\ saw him again this morning sun bathing...

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2013, 10:06 AM »
two summers ago i came across a hognose snake, its real odd, colored like a rattle snake with a head that flares out kinda like a cobra. it was laying upsidedown playing dead.  im just south of the border in methuen near the merrimac, freaky looking snake for around here. been looking in the same area since and never seen it again. ive seen similar ones out west but never around here

AquaAssassin

« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2013, 12:25 PM »
those are the only snakes ive seen in newengland that come toward you rather than head the otherway,

X2!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

yellowdog4me

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2013, 10:23 AM »
We see them quite often around our area. Here is a good link to the states ID page: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife/Nongame/snakes.htm
"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. Black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are." Dr. Seuss

big lou

« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2013, 06:06 PM »
I have had many encounters with them they can be very aggressive.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.