FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2000 40 HP Johnson prop/gear issue  (Read 2980 times)

chrisminmaine

2000 40 HP Johnson prop/gear issue
« on: Sep 02, 2013, 04:56 PM »
So I am riding along at 1/2 throttle and I notice a loud clicking under the cover.  I slow down, the clicking slows down.  I speed up and the clicking speeds up.  Then at WOT the prop stops turning.  The engine runs fine, but now the prop won't engage.  I was in 80 FOW and did not hit anything at the time.  Now I can freely spin the prop even when it is in gear.

I would really appreciate any thoughts.  My biggest question is the cost worth fixing a 13 year old 2-stroke?  Thanks.

Chris

Dispy

Re: 2000 40 HP Johnson prop/gear issue
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2013, 05:53 PM »
So I am riding along at 1/2 throttle and I notice a loud clicking under the cover.  I slow down, the clicking slows down.  I speed up and the clicking speeds up.  Then at WOT the prop stops turning.  The engine runs fine, but now the prop won't engage.  I was in 80 FOW and did not hit anything at the time.  Now I can freely spin the prop even when it is in gear.

I would really appreciate any thoughts.  My biggest question is the cost worth fixing a 13 year old 2-stroke?  Thanks.

Chris
1)Check your lower unit oil ;) perhaps you have water in the mix. One of the lower unit screws is magnetized,  also check for metallic fragments.  If water in the oil (milky white) this would lead to a new prop seal. If metal fragraments, check to see if the prop spins while shifter is engaged in forward, prop nuts do loosen and dis-allow for gear engagement. Prop should not move, otherwise the prop hub is spinning. This sometimes will lead to shaft shearing  internally 2) Check linkages. There exists many possiblities, these are just a few of basic "checks" to perform.

Lastly, here is a breakdown of your lower unit and parts cost associated and availability of those parts. Good luck.
 http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/57514.cfm
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.