FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: outfitting new boat  (Read 4621 times)

2sammich

outfitting new boat
« on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:10 AM »
Hey folks,
 I have a new boat for upcoming season. It's a 19' carolina skiff dlv. We fish mostly in the larger lakes in the adirondacks, but got this boat so we can fish for fluke and stripers also.  I am going to install all the extras myself, but would like some opinions. I want an easily detacheable trolling motor, and thought a freshwater would be fine because I would not be using it in the bay. I'm pretty sure I want a motor guide, but not sure of the thrust I need.  I'm having trouble picking fishfinder/gps combo, there are so many. I would like to stay in the 400. To 800. dollar range.  Opinions ? Hbird, garmin, lowrance, color, side imaging, what's best for my dual needs ? Any opinions/info greatly appreciated
2sammich

steelie1975

Re: outfitting new boat
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2014, 02:53 PM »
no on the moto , get a min kota 80lb do ya just fine, riptide model if doing salt water also, And look into the Lowrance elite 7 gold package, just a suggestion
Steelieslayer

rondog

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Hey folks,
 I have a new boat for upcoming season. It's a 19' carolina skiff dlv. We fish mostly in the larger lakes in the adirondacks, but got this boat so we can fish for fluke and stripers also.  I am going to install all the extras myself, but would like some opinions. I want an easily detacheable trolling motor, and thought a freshwater would be fine because I would not be using it in the bay. I'm pretty sure I want a motor guide, but not sure of the thrust I need.  I'm having trouble picking fishfinder/gps combo, there are so many. I would like to stay in the 400. To 800. dollar range.  Opinions ? Hbird, garmin, lowrance, color, side imaging, what's best for my dual needs ? Any opinions/info greatly appreciated
2sammich
Ditto on the 80#MinnKota Riptide with I-Pilot .If you use the freshwater motor in the salt the warranty is shot,at least with Minnkota

Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:03 PM »
go Minn Kota.. save yourself a lot of grief and skip on the motojunk

Flukeman

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2014, 12:59 AM »
80# Minn Kota and if you want Side Scan look at Hummingbirds new model (698 maybe) $699

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Longer shaft on the 80# minn kota too.
And the i-pilot is awesome!!!!

Any HD Lowrance is an excellent choice.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Minn Kota for the trolling motor and Humminbird for electronics... It's a bit pricey but if you buy the right combo of those two the fish finder will be able to control the trolling motor using Navionics and or your own cordinates.... Technology is a wonderful thing.

Snakemaistre

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:31 PM »
On your trolling motor brand is less important than power, I have owned all the brands and each has its ups and downs. For a boat that size you want at least 80lbs thrust and more importantly you want a 36 volt. You'll have to run three batteries but it will benefit you in the long run, you'll have the power to run that big of motor for a longer time. I run a small 42 lb on my 17ft bass boat and wish it had more power every time I take it out

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:20 PM »
On your trolling motor brand is less important than power, I have owned all the brands and each has its ups and downs. For a boat that size you want at least 80lbs thrust and more importantly you want a 36 volt. You'll have to run three batteries but it will benefit you in the long run, you'll have the power to run that big of motor for a longer time. I run a small 42 lb on my 17ft bass boat and wish it had more power every time I take it out

Sound advice.
Always go with more than you think.
I am so glad I went with 24V on my 16.5' Lund Rebel.
12 would have worked but 24 works better.
His being 19' and glass it will be heavy.
36 is the way to go.

steelie1975

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2014, 10:03 PM »
I agree and disagree with this post.Thank you freedom of speech, the brand does matter in my eyes. From what i have seen and used the moto are all cable driven models. This is a bad deal in any kind of waves or heavy current reason being any movement from the outside factors causes the motor to move. no Lock in position per say. with the mid to higher end minn kota they lock into place and electronically locked into place.  As for voltage i run a 80 lbs terrova well over 9 total hrs when I am walleye trolling and still have juice at end of day. I am pushing a 19.5 Starcraft superfisher with full tanks, 44 gallons and 3 guys and gear. 36 volt systems are nice but overkill in most situations. IMO
Steelieslayer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.