FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: These look pretty good...  (Read 4727 times)

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
These look pretty good...
« on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Don't know if these are something new or not but it's the first I've seen of them.... Lake Fork frog trailer hooks, I could see these doubling my frog hook ups. Definitely going to pick some up to try out.

jibbs

Re: These look pretty good...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:26 PM »
That's what I need..my hook up ratio is zero
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

AquaAssassin

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Those are a great idea! Never had a issue hooking up even in the real thick lettuce but those are great!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I have fun pad hoppin frogs when things get thick but lots of missed blow ups gets frustrating. I know a guy that is a killer frog fisherman that taught me a few things... Using 50-60 pound braid helps get a good hook set when your line is going through the pads but the biggest thing he taught me is to wait... When you see the blow up wait for the water to settle and look for the frog, if you cant see it then you set the hook. So often though as soon as I see the blow up I yank the rod like a dog after a bone lol.

jibbs

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Bowl hogs is the best I have ever seen...open wTer..the junk..whatever..never seen a guy cast 2 1/2 miles in tbe woods and be able to get it out..cringe everytime he sends it flying..tight isn't tbe word ..I plan on throwing weightless swim baits in pad fields this year...big 6 to 8 baits reeled through the pads ..I use braid on all my top water baits ..good for hook ups
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Lundin-loading

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:14 PM »
That open hook back there kinda looks troublesome when casting into the junk we use frogs in.
Beauty

Nitro16

• Born to fish Forced to work
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Looks like that would help but also help catch a bunch of weeds too.   May have to try one myself, wonder if bass pro has any.   You say you use braid for top water, does that require a leader too? Never used braid, pretty much stick with 10 lb florocarbon. I always think I'm doing the right things till I read you guys posts. Lol

jibbs

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Looks like that would help but also help catch a bunch of weeds too.   May have to try one myself, wonder if bass pro has any.   You say you use braid for top water, does that require a leader too? Never used braid, pretty much stick with 10 lb florocarbon. I always think I'm doing the right things till I read you guys posts. Lol
no leader...I picked up the tip from
Bass pro Edwin Evers ...braid works great on poppers, spooks and more importantly buzz baits ..the only problem on frogs is that deep shoreline hang up...can't break it so you have to cut it which probably means a half empty spool...unless you can get in there with your boat...you also can't pull too hard to snap the frog free or it digs in, which means a half empty spool,..haha..I use 30 lb power pro and 80 on my frog rod which sits in the basement ..not a frog guy and I should mix it in

Fishb4Family

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2014, 07:06 AM »
I work at Cabelas, and as soon as I saw these in the warehouse I purchased a pack. Did me more harm than good. The idea is brilliant but as you all may have assumed, having a free floating hook trailing behind your frog causes nightmares in thick vegetation. I will however say that if you work a frog around fallen timber or stumps it is definitely a bonus to have on your bait, and doesn't get hung up 97% of the time like it does in the grass.

Nitro16

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2014, 07:16 AM »
no leader...I picked up the tip from
Bass pro Edwin Evers ...braid works great on poppers, spooks and more importantly buzz baits ..the only problem on frogs is that deep shoreline hang up...can't break it so you have to cut it which probably means a half empty spool...unless you can get in there with your boat...you also can't pull too hard to snap the frog free or it digs in, which means a half empty spool,..haha..I use 30 lb power pro and 80 on my frog rod which sits in the basement ..not a frog guy and I should mix it in
thanks for the input. I am totally not a frog person either. Much rather throw rubber worms all day. Trying to expand my knowledge. Got a wiggle wart on your suggestion last spring but never caught anything on it. I am not confident in reaction bites enough.   You use 30 lb power pro on all your other rods? I may have to try that. Always had good luck with vanish transition, but can no longer find a bulk spool so may try something different. Thanks again jibbs, your knowledge and help are very much appreciated. I need a fishing partner like that to teach me stuff, I only tend to fish with rookies or alone.

Clams

• All day, every day!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I love fishing frogs. They are super weedless and catch really big bass. Def. used braid straight to the frog, at least 20lb on up. Hook up rates will be way better with braid. I look at frog fishing like fishing a topwater but, when a fish hits you have time to watch the line move or feel the fish (kind of like fishing soft plastics) before setting the hook. Also getting a fish to miss and then kill it on the next cast is awesome.  :o

I personally would not use the trailer hook. They look like they might prevent the frogs legs from pushing down and exposing the main hooks. That hook would also catch on weeds and stuff which takes away the best thing about tossing frogs. Buy quality frogs (Booyah,spro,etc and not the smaller versions) practice with them, they are a lure every bass fisherman should have.

jibbs

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2014, 12:34 PM »
thanks for the input. I am totally not a frog person either. Much rather throw rubber worms all day. Trying to expand my knowledge. Got a wiggle wart on your suggestion last spring but never caught anything on it. I am not confident in reaction bites enough.   You use 30 lb power pro on all your other rods? I may have to try that. Always had good luck with vanish transition, but can no longer find a bulk spool so may try something different. Thanks again jibbs, your knowledge and help are very much appreciated. I need a fishing partner like that to teach me stuff, I only tend to fish with rookies or alone.
i use a variety of line....seaguar flourocarbon in 10,12,15...pline 15 lb..there is a great website for matching specific lures and techniques for certain lures..line gets expensive but heh I only live once...

Nitro16

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Coll thanks for the info. Ill look for the web site. Appreciate the advice. Maybe ill try a few new things this year. Agree line gets expensive and doesn't last long enough. I find after a month or so on the spool it gets memory of the spool and I end up changing it all

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2014, 02:54 PM »

I only use heavy braid for frogs/mice stuff I'm hopping over pads. The rest of the time I'm using 4-6 pound mono for smallies or 12-14 pound Pline for Largemouth.

jibbs

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Here is the website
The BassFishin.Com Fishing Line Guide

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.