FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ny catfish thread  (Read 9604 times)

315stickbow

Ny catfish thread
« on: Apr 15, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Let's see some of those ny cats! I'll be heading out this weekend on some of Oneida's tributaries. Feel free to throw in tips for those new guys! I'm a big fan of cut up creek chubs for bait.I throw them in a ziplock bag whole and let them sit in the sun for a day. Then cut them into chunks, leaving the skin on. The skin keeps it on the hook good. Pike will also nail these so be ready!

Braz315

Re: Ny catfish thread
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2014, 07:36 AM »
Never caught a legit cat.  I was thinking of using some chicken livers in the Seneca river near onondaga lake how's that sound??

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2014, 07:44 AM »
I hope to add some pictures to this thread this season.. ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

315stickbow

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2014, 08:24 AM »
I hope to add some pictures to this thread this season.. ;D ;D

I hope to add some pictures in about an hour  ;) lets hope they're biting!

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2014, 08:44 AM »
And no bullheads.
 ;)

We often do quite well on the Cattaraugus Creek off Lake Erie.
We like leeches and chicken livers cause the smaller fish tend to leave them alone and we can keep bait on the hook longer.

puppeter

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Bubba hump LOL shrimp. Can't be cooked or steamed. Must be raw. It seems like the smaller fish leave a big piece of shrimp alone. I have seen days where guys did better on worms but for the most part shrimp works great. Good luck catch a bunch

3 DOT

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Never caught a legit cat.  I was thinking of using some chicken livers in the Seneca river near onondaga lake how's that sound??
Under the Rt.370 bridge is a good spot when the water goes down to normal levels.
  If you have a boat, that whole stretch along Gaskin Rd by the oil tanks is a great spot.
Best catfish spot in the area is right at 3 Rivers where the old hotel was.  Don't know if you're allowed to fish from shore there anymore.   Cut bait or chicken parts on the bottom.  Cast out as far as you can !   It doesn't take long for the action to start ! ;)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Do any of you guys catch your own bait like perch or sun fish and chunk them up?   Works good with some guts on it... Or just use the guts....    ;D ;D
Save the rest for a fish fry...    8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

315stickbow

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:50 AM »
Do any of you guys catch your own bait like perch or sun fish and chunk them up?   Works good with some guts on it... Or just use the guts....    ;D ;D

After I take the fillets off fish I chunk what's left with a cleaver. Bullhead work the best so far. They bleed a lot

greensider

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2014, 12:32 PM »
the shrimp are the best

walleyefever

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2014, 05:50 PM »
I'm looking to head out after some big cats. I haven't really targeted them very much but I have hooked into a few big channel cats while pike fishing with chubs. I'm not too sure what time of year is best to catch them or many good spots to try. I would probably start at catturugust creek with chicken liver and night crawlers at night.

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2014, 06:29 PM »
I'm looking to head out after some big cats. I haven't really targeted them very much but I have hooked into a few big channel cats while pike fishing with chubs. I'm not too sure what time of year is best to catch them or many good spots to try. I would probably start at catturugust creek with chicken liver and night crawlers at night.

Cattaraugus Creek holds decent size kitties because they can roam out into the lake, also there's a ton of food for them.
Spring is the best time.
April and May typically.
Target the holes under the RR bridges.
I know some guys that kayak the creek for cats and they do very well.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Do any of you guys catch your own bait like perch or sun fish and chunk them up?   Works good with some guts on it... Or just use the guts....    ;D ;D
cut up piece of gill is awesome... ;D

LOA

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Some of the best catfish action of the year is this time of year on the susquehanna and chemung river. The fish are all schooled up and ready to spawn. I usually go to any creek I can get suckers at. Fillet the suckers and cut into strips and use FRESH sucker strips. You can catch catfish all day long this time of year as long as the water is high and muddy. We have literally caugh them in the parking lots of the boat launches the river was so high. There are times in broad daylight you cannot keep two rods in the water.

Prchmike

« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Raw shrimp hands down.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.