FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leader Material??????  (Read 1667 times)

toguetaker

Leader Material??????
« on: Apr 26, 2005, 10:07 AM »
  Going to give florocarbon a try for my leaders. What is the best knot to use to tie on to my fly line?? I have always used mono and tied it using the nail knot. Any one of you have a better suggestion?

bassbug

• One more than Marsh
Re: Leader Material??????
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2005, 01:52 PM »
The Palomar knot has always been real good to me. It's has a 98% breaking strength, small, and real easy when fingers are cold.  What ever knot you used make sure to wet it while you tying it because the friction of tying the knot will weaken the knot.  The only 100% knot that I know of is the "Jimmy Houston knot".  The reason I don't use that one is because larger and harder to tie when fingers are cold.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2005, 03:01 PM »
when joining line to line i use a blood knot or double uniknot...both can be seen at www.netknots.com
Scotty 

mayfly

• so little time ,so many fish!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2005, 04:46 PM »
tougetaker ,im thinking that you want to tie to the leader to the fly line?.braided slip loops work great and ,are easy to find they slip over FLY line and act like a chinese finger.some require glue.then you put a duncan loop or surgeons loop in leader and attach.if not try the "NAILESS" knot,which is easier than the nail knot. or use the nail knot. here is a link for the nailess.
www.flyfisherman.com/skills/jb4knots 

enjoy!

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Personally for attaching leader to fly line i like left krehs trick of making a loop in the fly line if it isn't already factury made. I double the tip of the fly line over it and then wrap fly tying thread over the line and a bobber threader several times for a length of about 3/4 of an inch and then cut the thread, put it through the threader and pull it back through. I then use zap a gap on the thread. I then use a looped leader for a loop to loop connection. I like this because i can switch leaders of different types and strengths.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.