FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Going Cod fishing in Hampton, NH  (Read 4017 times)

Hookset

Going Cod fishing in Hampton, NH
« on: Apr 27, 2005, 08:47 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had some inside info for me related to cod fishing.  Myself and two of my buddies are going to Hampton, NH and going with either Al Gauron or Eastmans.  I went the Gauron fleet a few years ago and had a great time.  I didn't do very well, nor did many others, except a few Asian fishermen.  I think they were using huge shrimp instead of the bait all others used.  Is there a specific bait that the Cod like more than others?  Any 'big fish' baits?  No saltwater up here in the Adirondacks of NY, so I have little exposure to coastal ocean fishing.  Thanks in advance.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: Going Cod fishing in Hampton, NH
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2005, 10:42 AM »
Shrimp or clams are 2 general baits used. You could try a cod jig from 9- 20 oz. depending on current Some times the big cod are taken on jigs.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Hookset

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2005, 08:49 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Looking forward to it.

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Hookset, If you really want to catch a mess of cod&haddock bypass the hampton charters and travel up to Perkins Cove Maine and get on the bunny clark.Tim Tower is the Capt. and man does his boat catch fish,unlike the hampton charters who I think are into sightseeing more than fishing.As far as bait goes I do really well on squid strips put on a double chartreuse color bucktail spread.As they say on the salt around here "If it's not chartreuse it is'nt any use".Put a 20 oz. bank sinker on the bottom of your tandom setup,this will get you down to the bottom faster and hopefully keep you out of those dreaded charter boat tangles.
Bubba

Hookset

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 08:42 AM »
Smelt1:

Thanks for the info. I am heading out with Al Gauron on Monday the 9th.  I have a first-time-ocean-goer with me which ought to increase the amount of 'chum' in the water.  Hoping for decent weather and calm seas.  Thanks again.

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 08:09 AM »
Hookset do your buddy a favor and stop at your local Wally world and get him a package of equate motion sickness pills. For years the ocean and me have had a love hate relationship. I love to fish on it and it rewards me with sea swells that makes me call out for someone named "Ralph".I have tried every known medication,dranimine.bonine,transderm scope patchs,wrist bans,ect. Not one of those worked.Finally a buddy of mine who used to get sick looking at a nautical map suggested trying the motion sickness pills sold at walmart under there equate brand and now I can even eat a lunch on the ocean!!! Good luck with Gauron sightseeing charters I hope you land a big one!!
Bubba

fishercat

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 11:28 AM »
Hookset
                      Did you go out on  5/9 ? How did you guys do  ???
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Hookset

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 01:53 PM »
Well, I received a phone call on Sunday night, May 8th, stating that the seas were too bad and the boats weren't running.  That sucked!  But we went anyway because I had already paid for the hotel.  We fished from the jettie in the Hampton State Park, but the weather was brutal.  High winds, banging surf and drizzle all morning.  We surf casted for a while until the weather made us give it up and focus more on the buzz.  I want to apologize to the lady that runs the Lighthouse convenient store on Ocean Blvd in Hampton Beach, I didn't mean to break all of those beers, it was an accident.  Tuesday was beautiful, but obligations prevented us from fishing, we had to start the journey home.  Great time even though we couldn't get out on the boat!  Below is how the surf looked when we arrived in Hampton on Monday morning at about 9 a.m.  Needless to say, we couldn't stay there long unless we had gills and fins.

fishercat

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 05:28 PM »
 Better luck next time. You got to see the ocean at its nastiest for this time of year.  By the way the Bunny Clark went out they did catch fish. On line report said swells  from 6-8 feet. :sick: :sick: Sorry to here about your accident with the barley pops.  ???

Hookset

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 08:20 AM »
I actually spoke with the folks at the Bunny Clark on Sunday evening as we were scrambling to find someone else to take us out.  Unfortunately, when I talked to them the trip was already full for Monday.  She did say that there are only 30 people on the boat at a time, that's a pretty small party boat.  Oh well, we're going back in a few weeks to try again. 

The trip was not a total loss, I did get fireworks for me and live lobsters for the folks.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 07:13 PM »
im going out of portland maine with only six guys to a party!! more fish for me!!  ;D  good luck and tight lines
Scotty 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.