FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Toy  (Read 15454 times)

Baitbucket

Re: New Toy
« Reply #30 on: Apr 25, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Sound like I just use like 1/3 gal of gas and 1/3 can of sea foam mixed together and let it run till it runs out.

I pulled the cover off and couldn't find an oil filter. Do some not have one?

Baitbucket

« Reply #31 on: Apr 28, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Old flooring ripped out and new flooring treated and ready to go in.

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: Apr 28, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Will make sure that is not pressure treated wood as the chemicals in it will do horrible things to an aluminum boat.  Marine grade plywood is what you want albeit expensive.

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #33 on: Apr 28, 2015, 08:28 PM »
Looking good Will.  👍
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Mac Attack

« Reply #34 on: Apr 28, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Will make sure that is not pressure treated wood as the chemicals in it will do horrible things to an aluminum boat.  Marine grade plywood is what you want albeit expensive.

not true anymore.
the copper is out of the pressure treated these days.

But I would tear out that floatation if it's water logged.

Good luck.

Baitbucket

« Reply #35 on: Apr 29, 2015, 04:04 AM »
Will make sure that is not pressure treated wood as the chemicals in it will do horrible things to an aluminum boat.  Marine grade plywood is what you want albeit expensive.

Good to know thx man. The only thing i got that pressure treated is the rod holders (far left of the 2nd pic). I will look into making them out of something else just to be safe. I used regular plywood (mid grade) and treated it with a mold/mildew resistant water sealant on both sides and all edges. Should do the trick, especially for a Quabbin boat.

It was wet, but dried out in a couple hours. Has been sitting open for a few days now and protected by the boat cover. Its bone dry now.

lowaccord66

« Reply #36 on: Apr 29, 2015, 05:36 AM »

not true anymore.
the copper is out of the pressure treated these days.

Good luck.

Copper was not the only reactive chemical in the wood so that isn't relevant.

http://www.oaa.on.ca/professional+resources/resources+for+architects+&+practices/pressure+treated+wood+alert

This specifically discusses the corrosive qualities of the new chemicals in the wood.

I hope you don't have any on your boat!

Yachtzy

« Reply #37 on: Apr 29, 2015, 06:14 AM »
As soon as I saw that pic of the floor being pulled up, was like major deja vu for me. I been there before. That wood you have cut for the floor will work out just fine for you. A user of the site from Maine had a good idea, seal the edges like you did, then a couple coats of exterior paint with skidtex mixed in the last coat. Seemed easier on labor and materials, and an easy wash down, while being gentle on the wallet. I used large head aluminum rivits to secure the wood to the aluminum cross beams, just because it seemed every screw in the boat backed out over time if it wasn't siliconed in. I'm surprised there was no mouse colonies under the old deck too, they're wire eaters.

xjbob99

« Reply #38 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:00 AM »
ill be doing that this winter.  >:(

Baitbucket

« Reply #39 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:24 AM »
As soon as I saw that pic of the floor being pulled up, was like major deja vu for me. I been there before. That wood you have cut for the floor will work out just fine for you. A user of the site from Maine had a good idea, seal the edges like you did, then a couple coats of exterior paint with skidtex mixed in the last coat. Seemed easier on labor and materials, and an easy wash down, while being gentle on the wallet. I used large head aluminum rivits to secure the wood to the aluminum cross beams, just because it seemed every screw in the boat backed out over time if it wasn't siliconed in. I'm surprised there was no mouse colonies under the old deck too, they're wire eaters.

The rivets that were in there were 1/4x3/4" and i cant find them anywhere local. I thought about using self tapping screws too, but was worried about them backing out =/

I heard about the outdoor paint and skidex route but the outdoor carpeting i got is mold/mildew resistant as well, and only cost $34 to do the whole boat. Ill use the old carpet as a template.

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #40 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Will if you go the self tapping screw route use a drop of liquid nails where you are putting the screw and screw through it.  It will coat the screw and when it dries it will bond to the wood and prevent it from backing out.
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Baitbucket

« Reply #41 on: Apr 29, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Will if you go the self tapping screw route use a drop of liquid nails where you are putting the screw and screw through it.  It will coat the screw and when it dries it will bond to the wood and prevent it from backing out.

Would using the water seal im using do the same with the added benefit of sealing where the threads cut the wood from any water?

Yachtzy

« Reply #42 on: Apr 29, 2015, 10:50 AM »
The sealer probably would help I'd say. I got the 3/4" head aluminum  rivits and rivits backers at Grainger. Only reason was because they were still in one piece after the old floor crumbled, so I tried to match it the existing design. It was a Starcraft aluminum boat.

Knot there yet

« Reply #43 on: Apr 29, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Auto body shop supply have big rivets They even have plastic one no squeaks.Iwent crazy trying to find them. That's how they mount license plate brackets to your Bumpers .I went with nylon anchor & Galvanized screws .easy to modify later.

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: Apr 29, 2015, 11:37 AM »
The rivets that were in there were 1/4x3/4" and i cant find them anywhere local. I thought about using self tapping screws too, but was worried about them backing out =/

I heard about the outdoor paint and skidex route but the outdoor carpeting i got is mold/mildew resistant as well, and only cost $34 to do the whole boat. Ill use the old carpet as a template.

Ill post a pic of my floor with the skidex later.  You should reconsidwr it as a viable long term option.  Best is after a visit to the salt I bring he boat to the car wash and hose it all down!  Carpet stains and eventually looks like crap.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.