FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: tent or camper?  (Read 47076 times)

AD

• Born to fish
Re: tent or camper?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 08, 2005, 08:38 PM »
Tents sure do have the advantage in my oppinion.   With campers you are stuck in roadside camping sites.    With a tent you can get a light one adn just start hiking.    I camped 3 miles back in the wilderness in alaska and there is no way a camper could have gotten back there.    Although stuffing three guys into a 2 person tent in the middle of bear country is sort of borderline baiting them in rather than a sleeping area.     
    Tenting seems to test your skills a bit more too, you have to choose what you pack wisely if you are going to hike in a ways.... say the right fuel for your little camp stove (learned that lesson the hard way up there)     
     In stead of being able to pack everything you have to make choices wisely adn eliminate things that you really dont need but still want.     
      I like camping and Im not saying that campers are all bad.     I bet I'd sure wish I had an AC'd camper if I was tent camping it in 95+ temperatures.     Campers can offer a lot more luxuries but tent camping seems to me to be more fun and challenging.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

archbishop

« Reply #31 on: Jul 09, 2005, 09:44 AM »
amen campers are for when your with the family and tents are good for when you and the boy or a buddy wanna head out for a weekend although i am lucky my wife loves tent camping (once in a while) and would go out for a weekend camping with me better me and her than me and two other guys in my two man ;D if im gonna bait bear i wanna go happy ;D

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #32 on: Jul 09, 2005, 09:21 PM »
I still tent it at 41 yrs old when I hike up the mountains for some goat hunting or fishing some back country lake. The only way you could get a camper in there would be to fly it in. I also have a camper that I like to take if 4X4 access and I'm hunting moose or bear. I stay away from other campers especially in the provincial campgrounds. Brother in law loves the social aspect of camping. I hate that part and if I see another camper swing in and ask if they can camp next to the creek or river I'm at, I usually talk real loud, scratch my privates, pick my nose, take out  my eye and lick it, while making loud humming noises...They get the picture real quick. But I haven't had to do that in quite a few years. Most of the places I go are 4X4 access and very limited access. I camp for the solitute of it all, and if the going gets real rough, I pull out the tent and continue. Lots of times it is just a tarp especially if I'm after grizzly, then I'm moving and searching lots.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 11:38 AM »
If there's a security guard driving around...telling you to go to bed at 1 am...that's not camping...if in a tent or camper.  I like my tent (with an air mattress)...but it does suck when it rains hard.

bayonne

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 07:11 PM »
i go one a month with my son been a scout leader since he was 6-7 hes 16 now and almost a aegl scout only need hid sevive project we just went this weekend to a camporee at the merchant marine academy at kings point ny about 1300 in attendence

Hoppes

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 06:49 PM »
I prefer to tent camp, have several tents (wife works at LL Beans).  I bivy camp and have lightweight backpacking tents and large dome and cabin tents.  I usually take one of my inexpensive modified A-frame tents, lightweight inflatable air mattresses and hit the trail.  Have a 21' Hi-Lo a friend "gave" me and will use that for hunting in the fall.  It's nice to come back to a dry warm environment after a long day in cold weather.  Let the clothes dry and cook a hot meal.  Spent two weekends this spring in northern Maine scouting and slept out both times under the stars listening to "yotes".  I guess I've always been a tent guy.  I usually hit the woods for solitude and quiet....
Hoppes

molsonport

« Reply #36 on: Jun 28, 2006, 04:41 PM »
campers are great but i just cant figure out how to get the boat and the camper to the park at same time.

Ice Dawg

« Reply #37 on: Aug 14, 2006, 04:32 PM »
campers are great but i just cant figure out how to get the boat and the camper to the park at same time.
    I pull my boat behind my camper.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Thestanimal

« Reply #38 on: Sep 03, 2006, 07:33 AM »
I have always been a tent guy.  i've had a LL Bean 6 man tent for years and i have never had a problem with no rain.  Boy that thing could tell some stories!  Love the portability to go to some very remote places.  Gets a little hairy when you have a couple of bull moose fighting outside 15 feet away.
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

chowdah

« Reply #39 on: Sep 05, 2006, 07:10 PM »
I camp in my pop-up camper, nice cause its like tenting but with something more comfortable on your back. I do have a tent and use that when I am towing the boat to go with us! Best part of camping is the food/cooking!! I can spend all day doing that, with a beverage in hand! Thats relaxin!! No TV No Phone...

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #40 on: Sep 05, 2006, 08:29 PM »
I always tent camp, but I would like to get a slide in. I have an Ex-Cab long box GMC, with overload springs and holes drilled for tie downs. It was obviously set up for a camper, so why not? I figure this will allow me to keep the wife and kids from bawling about the tent, and still pull the boat. Shoot, what is the purpose of camping if you aren't gonna fish! ;D

sperrin

« Reply #41 on: Apr 21, 2008, 04:29 PM »
5th wheel camper! I have a 22' 5th wheel prowler that I tow with my F-150. That way I can still tow my boat behind it. I tented when I was younger and then I bought a 12' tent trailer but after 2 seasons with it I was sick of popping it up and down so I got the 5th wheel....best investment ever! And im only 22 years old so anyone can get into the sport...if they save their money. Tenting in the rain and cold is never any fun.

Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

Bgreen02

« Reply #42 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:58 AM »
Tent is the way to go. Much more fun. Although, a camper keeps you out the elements more. The tent I think is a better time.

sperrin

« Reply #43 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:11 AM »
after a hard day of fishing out in the wind and cold its nice to come back to the warm 5th wheel and have a few beverages and play some cards or swap fish stories...
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

Ice Dawg

« Reply #44 on: Apr 27, 2008, 04:28 PM »
I remember one night last June when we had a bad thunder storm and the tents were all collapsed and coolers and what ever else was heavy enough set on top of them. I watched out the window of my fifth wheel as all the tent campers sat in their vehicles all night. In the morning I had a cup of coffee and went fishing while they were trying to repair the tents. A few had to be brought down from the tree where they ended up. A camper tipped over two spots down from me. Yup, tents are great, but I'll stick to my fifth wheel. I still own four tents and they get used once in a great while.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.