The Fisherman's Wharf > Camping

tips & tricks

<< < (2/10) > >>

Pasquatch:
For emergency use, take half of a cartridge's powder and bullet out, and pour that half of the powder on the kindling. The, take a small peice of cloth, and stuff it in the end of the cartridge. Chamber the round, and fire! The cloth will be smoldering, so just place it on the kindling.

Melt parrafin wax from candles onto matches, that'll waterproof them. Just scratch it off to use them.

Also, potassium chlorate(some throat tablets) mixed with sugar 3:1  Weedkiller and sugar 3:1 also work. Just create friction!

Car battery, and two wires. take a wire from each terminal. Slowly bring the wires together, and have them right on top of tinder when they are about to touch. Right before contact, sparks will jump across, sparking your little fire

That's my little pyro lesson for today... :P

AD:

--- Quote from: billditrite on May 06, 2005, 04:45 AM ---im sure with all of us here there are many tricks and tips that could be very useful to each other. one that i use quite often is potato chip products and snacks as a firestarter. forget newspaper light a cheetos on fire and see what happens!you might not want to put them in your childs backpack after.

--- End quote ---

Sun chips work great for this also.   
just from personal experience
Make sure you bring the right fuel for your stove or your buddies stove.     We hiked in about 3 or 4 miles into remote alaska and sure enough my boss/friend brought the wrong fuel, and we were staying overnight.   So we had grayling over a fresh wood fire.    Rather than preserved food over a colmen stove.   Personally I was happy with the grayling over the preserved food.   

archbishop:
always always bring an extra pair of socks
all it takes is one time on a long hike to understand why

Hood:
O yeah, dried up terds also start fires, especially vegetarian critter terds. Know your scat!

wormwigglr:
i hope your kidding!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version