FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Charge  (Read 4016 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Charge
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Its not a right or wrong thing Will just my observations.  I am looking forward to the Q.  I was going to put a 9.9 on mine and tag it but there are bigger laker lakes like George I will take that to. A rental and 4 leadcore lines is all that is needed anyways!

Baitbucket

« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:00 AM »
For me, leadcore takes all the fun out of reeling in a fish.

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2016, 12:11 PM »
For me, leadcore takes all the fun out of reeling in a fish.

Well sir you're probably using the wrong kind!  It doesn't ruin the fun for me and let me tell you we slay fish using it with snapweights.  Also in trolling there is a distinct advantage to using a line that follows the contours your trolling. 

james1981

« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:19 PM »
 as for the smallmouth, you need to get away from the crowds and do some searching...  heck with the gap... need to go farther than that to get into them good enough to be productive... but there are some VERY big largemouths cruising around 31 also...  Nothing like leadcore, used it in a rental boat for a long time, just needed clear weather to take that thing to the barrels at 31... long ride doing 7mph...

Baitbucket

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:07 PM »
Well sir you're probably using the wrong kind!  It doesn't ruin the fun for me and let me tell you we slay fish using it with snapweights.  Also in trolling there is a distinct advantage to using a line that follows the contours your trolling.  

Im using Tuf-Line Micro Lead. Pretty sure its the thinnest stuff on the market. After reeling in a few colors of leadcore, the fish is exhausted, like reeling in a log.. While im aware of the advantage of it following the contour you troll. Im not saying it doesnt work, just not much fun for me.  Using a downrigger and knowing the exact depth, being able to go as deep as you want, dropping your bait at the exact depth your marking fish, and being able to stack two rods off one downrigger, is much more advantageous for me.

james1981

« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:40 PM »
 if you load the leadcore on the rod with backing, then load  100-200ft of mono on the rod it will feel better... and better fighting...

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Im using Tuf-Line Micro Lead. Pretty sure its the thinnest stuff on the market. After reeling in a few colors of leadcore, the fish is exhausted, like reeling in a log.. While im aware of the advantage of it following the contour you troll. Im not saying it doesnt work, just not much fun for me.  Using a downrigger and knowing the exact depth, being able to go as deep as you want, dropping your bait at the exact depth your marking fish, and being able to stack two rods off one downrigger, is much more advantageous for me.

The problem you have Will is you are too sure of yourself.   Try some sufix 832 advanced leadcore and get back to me.  I have found lakers over 25" never come in like logs....

You just cut your teeth in trolling but now are an expert...my posting here will be short lived.  I dont want to ruin your circus.

Baitbucket

« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2016, 06:51 PM »
The problem you have Will is you are too sure of yourself.   Try some sufix 832 advanced leadcore and get back to me.  I have found lakers over 25" never come in like logs....

You just cut your teeth in trolling but now are an expert...my posting here will be short lived.  I dont want to ruin your circus.

Never claimed to be an expert. Simply said it wasnt for me. I did check out the Suffix btw. The Tuf Line Micro lead is thinner for the same # line.
 Good luck in the rentals this season.

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Never claimed to be an expert. Simply said it wasnt for me. I did check out the Suffix btw. The Tuf Line Micro lead is thinner for the same # line.
 Good luck catching way more fish than me this season there.  I hope you still answer all my quabbin questions in pm still.

Fixed!   ;D

james1981

« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2016, 07:33 PM »
 another option is to use dipsy divers. I have in the past but prefer leadcore... it is much better...  anyway you wont really need either until late spring or summer when the water warms up. those salmon are right on the surface...   

Question;  Have you seen the rod pumper boxes, jimsjigomatic used to be standard for streamer fishermen...  downside it had to be drilled and bolted on the boat...  i hear they work really good, but get the same result from inline planer boards...

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2016, 07:41 PM »
James I have been using snap weights for extra depth and those seem to be less cumbersome than the dipsy divers.  Early season you can use regular line and snap weights or just flatline. 

james1981

« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2016, 07:47 PM »
 i agree, but I am more thinking about increasing the horizontal spread of baits across a larger piece of water.  planer boards or mast is well worth the investment, will double the catch easily...  that is why i thought about stackers on the riggers but never really did it because it can be a little more hassle, i have walker manuals, but would like electrics...

Eastciderida

« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Tried the 030 dips divers today 1 worked OK tracking to the side but the other just didn't work. Snubbers kept getting tangled around line going to try my bigger ones next time. James what are some goods flies I could go out and buy to throw on my down rigger lines? Hit comet today and only had one hit with the random spoons I have. One guy said troll some flies. Was wondering if my small arsenal of fly fishing flies would work or if there's a certain couple that work. Size of em to?

james1981

« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:35 PM »
 early season on comet, i would go for woolly buggers black or green i use one of each,  if you tie them , use tinsel in the body segments, and i use 4 trailers in the maribou tail.. i fish size 6-8 streamers.  I have two fly rods and rod holders for stockies... take off tippet, load 100 ft of mono 6lb test with blood knot. one 5 wt  9ft floating line, other is 6wt 9ft floating line, large arbor reels help a lot...  ive also had good luck with any nymphs  pheasant tails, with wire or no wire,  I fish local ponds in north central mass... and southwest nh.  also remote ponds in the white mountains... Unbelievable fishery up there... Look for ponds that are at least 5 miles in the woods... no access for cars or boats.

the best brook trout fly i have is the cheapest mix of parts you wouldnt even imagine,   its a scud pattern tied on a dryfly hook, mainly because i have so many of them that i figured why buy scud hooks.    very simple and easy to tie,    black thread,  stretch tubing from bracelet making really thin stuff, and tinsel rainbow colored,  wind tinsel, tubing, then finish with wraps and its just a killer on brookies, they cant resist...  I hate paying for fly materials that are WAY over priced... why buy scud tubing for 10 dollars or more when you can get that stuff...

FYI on smelt patterns I use wire for bouquets silver and weaved, that stuff they give away... thin wire, but forms nice bodies on fly patterns. 

james1981

« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:38 PM »
 correction size 14 hook on the scud pattern...   small but still and  really easy pattern to crank out.. i can get a seasons worth in an hour or so..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.