FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Swimbait season off to an early start  (Read 5111 times)

dumbba

Re: Swimbait season off to an early start
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:41 AM »
Very nice offer, but I see it now, I take a nice long cast and my bail pops over and your lure reaches the other side of Quabbin, without a line attached!

Come on Allan, you're nearly a professional. I don't expect that to happen plus you tie a good knot and it should hold. They have survived numerous back lashes for me. Just use a good mono that has decent stretch ability and you're all set.

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Very nice offer, but I see it now, I take a nice long cast and my bail pops over and your lure reaches the other side of Quabbin, without a line attached!
That happened to me with a big castmaster at the Chu years ago :-)

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:49 AM »
Fishing is my vice. I have to waste money on it or it wouldn't be a vice:-) Plus the Buzzjet will catch better fish anyway. Bank on it!  :-) Well, maybe not but that's my story.

I will have to test that theory, biggest split body jitterbug has done incredibly well for me. Unless the buzz jet produces consistent bass over 6#, I don't think they will work any differently. But it will be fun to experiment and see. Now to find someone selling one half price on eBay lol. Any fresh water lure over 15-20 bucks is just nuts (in my opinion).

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

Baitbucket

« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:08 AM »
I loaded up on the sebile magic swimmers of all sizes when they went on sale for 6.99 last year.

dumbba

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:22 AM »
I loaded up on the sebile magic swimmers of all sizes when they went on sale for 6.99 last year.
I bought a few at BPS when they were priced like that but returned them. As a fresh water swimbait there are better ones of that particular style although more costly:-) They are a good inexpensive investment for the salt though.

dumbba

« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:30 AM »
I will have to test that theory, biggest split body jitterbug has done incredibly well for me. Unless the buzz jet produces consistent bass over 6#, I don't think they will work any differently. But it will be fun to experiment and see. Now to find someone selling one half price on eBay lol. Any fresh water lure over 15-20 bucks is just nuts (in my opinion).
I have one with a broken bill you can have:-) I'm sure the results would be similar to that of a big jitterbug but I'd bet on the BuzzJet...
And just to make it worse, you would probably need a new rod too as these things weigh over 1.25oz so many rods aren't capable of throwing it without the risk of snapping in half so add more cost to the setup:-)
Like any bait you use with success, you become partial to it.

stripernut

« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Come on Allan, you nearly a professional. I don't expect that to happen plus you tie a good knot and it should hold. They have survived numerous back lashes for me. Just use a good mono that has decent stretch ability and you're all set.

Does not happen often, but with Murphy's Law, it will happen, when it is the most expensive lure! As for using mono, no thanks, it is like catching fish on a big rubber band, not nearly as much fun as with braid... I hope to never go back to mono... I look forward to fishing with you again side by side and we can see what happens... Not that that is definitive, but its a good time!

Baitbucket

« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:52 AM »
I bought a few at BPS when they were priced like that but returned them. As a fresh water swimbait there are better ones of that particular style although more costly:-) They are a good inexpensive investment for the salt though.

Should have hung onto them, they are normally 15-20$. Now that u cant find them anymore people are selling the stock piles they got when they were $6.99 for $15-20 again on ebay.

dumbba

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Should have hung onto them, they are normally 15-20$. Now that u cant find them anymore people are selling the stock piles they got when they were $6.99 for $15-20 again on ebay.
There is a 12 foot flat bottom Tracker pram at Bass Pro right now loaded to the top with them at 7.99. They have been there for 4 months now. They can't give them away. Fact. Both the 7 in and 13 in varieties. I'm sure they are decent lures, I just prefer other manufacturers of that type bait.

Baitbucket

« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2016, 11:13 AM »
There is a 12 foot flat bottom Tracker pram at Bass Pro right now loaded to the top with them at 7.99. They have been there for 4 months now. They can't give them away. Fact. Both the 7 in and 13 in varieties. I'm sure they are decent lures, I just prefer other manufacturers of that type bait.

What what!!  Ill be down there this Friday, ill be sure to keep an eye out. Thx for the heads up

dumbba

« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2016, 11:20 AM »
Does not happen often, but with Murphy's Law, it will happen, when it is the most expensive lure! As for using mono, no thanks, it is like catching fish on a big rubber band, not nearly as much fun as with braid... I hope to never go back to mono... I look forward to fishing with you again side by side and we can see what happens... Not that that is definitive, but its a good time!

Braid is a reasonable choice with the expensive swimbaits, especially the top water stuff,  but the stretch factor of mono is precisely why you would want to use it over braid when throwing the expensive lures. It helps to avoid the very type breakoffs you feared.
This is not my opinion but that of swimbait professionals I read when getting into swimbaits. That's why I ended up fishing a good mono line.

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Great start.  Do you apply your liking if swimbaits to the bass if a striped varity? 

stripernut

« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Braid is a reasonable choice with the expensive swimbaits, especially the top water stuff,  but the stretch factor of mono is precisely why you would want to use it over braid when throwing the expensive lures. It helps to avoid the very type breakoffs you feared.
This is not my opinion but that of swimbait professionals I read when getting into swimbaits. That's why I ended up fishing a good mono line.

I understand that way of thinking, but for me, if I had to fish with mono to fish swim-baits, I would not fish swim-baits... But to each his own.

dumbba

« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2016, 01:37 PM »
What what!!  Ill be down there this Friday, ill be sure to keep an eye out. Thx for the heads up

You better hurry Will, as of 2:00 today there were only a couple (hundred) left:-)

dumbba

« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2016, 01:39 PM »
I understand that way of thinking, but for me, if I had to fish with mono to fish swim-baits, I would not fish swim-baits... But to each his own.

Understood. Why the dislike of a good mono? Is it just the stretch factor or the fact it sinks or the diameter??? Just curious about the strong dislike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.