FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Swimbait season off to an early start  (Read 5112 times)

dumbba

Re: Swimbait season off to an early start
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Great start.  Do you apply your liking if swimbaits to the bass if a striped varity? 
I suppose I would but I don't often, if ever get the chance to fish salt.

lowaccord66

« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2016, 02:24 PM »
I suppose I would but I don't often, if ever get the chance to fish salt.

I only ask because I used to have an obsession with using big plugs for stripers and did very well.  I figured you might be doing the same seeing that you have a handle on it in freshwater.

dumbba

« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2016, 02:36 PM »
I only ask because I used to have an obsession with using big plugs for stripers and did very well.  I figured you might be doing the same seeing that you have a handle on it in freshwater.

I definitely would if I spent anytime fishing for stripers. I'd love too, just am so novice to it I just head for the fresh water fishing. I'm only 45 minutes from the canal so I no excuses, other than a lack of experience with it:-)

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: Mar 09, 2016, 06:55 PM »
I definitely would if I spent anytime fishing for stripers. I'd love too, just am so novice to it I just head for the fresh water fishing. I'm only 45 minutes from the canal so I no excuses, other than a lack of experience with it:-)

Your plugging skills need to be applied to the canal, you could do very well down there. If you want I would be happy to show you what I like to do down there.  Its pretty similar in my opinion to plugging for pike or bass mechanically.  Obviously the size is a bit different and there is current but it can be figured out and sometimes with startling repeatability. 

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Understood. Why the dislike of a good mono? Is it just the stretch factor or the fact it sinks or the diameter??? Just curious about the strong dislike.
I too would NOT use mono. In fact I won't use it for anything. Too weak, too much stretch, especially for the cost of some of these lures. I certainly wouldn't worry about losing one in mid cast on 20# braid  though. But that's just me, to each their own 👍

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

nhpikeking

« Reply #35 on: Mar 18, 2016, 02:06 AM »
Why not braid with a flourocarbon leader? And try out the savage gear shine glide or swim and jerk 4 play both reasonably priced and have crazy action tackle warehouse has both with product videos
I've fished a million places and I've rocked em all

dumbba

« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Why not braid with a flourocarbon leader? And try out the savage gear shine glide or swim and jerk 4 play both reasonably priced and have crazy action tackle warehouse has both with product videos
I know guys do that but for me with the weight of these lures and the cost I'd rather not introduce another knot into the equation. The good mono has always worked fine for me, for a number of reasons.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.