FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: DB Smelt color choices list  (Read 12863 times)

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
DB Smelt color choices list
« on: Mar 19, 2016, 06:08 AM »
I saw a post last year that showed all the color choices for the DB Smelt Lures.  I wished I saved it but I did not.  Can anyone repost the list?  I think it came from someone on the Maine site but I could be wrong.  I checked a couple of sites but they don't show all the available choices.  Also if you wouldn't mind I would take your suggestions on what ones worked best for you guys.  Thanks for any info.
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

AquaAssassin

Re: DB Smelt color choices list
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2016, 06:49 AM »
Rangley special always produces! It's the half pink tiger stripe looking one
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

dickbaker

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:55 AM »
 ???  All I am sure about is that you have to have  a DB in Wonder Bread for cloudy/rainy days!!
Dick

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2016, 02:58 PM »
hey Dick Baker.  I don't see a wonder bread one in the list of color choices.  Is the one your talking about the white with red dots?  I know wonder bread usually has different colored dots but like I said I don't see that option of color choice.  If you know where I can find it let me know..thanks.
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

dickbaker

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2016, 05:31 PM »
hey Dick Baker.  I don't see a wonder bread one in the list of color choices.  Is the one your talking about the white with red dots?  I know wonder bread usually has different colored dots but like I said I don't see that option of color choice.  If you know where I can find it let me know..thanks.

Wonder Bread is always white with lots of colored dots.   I have several DB Smelt in Wonder Bread.  Call AJ's and ask about them?
Dick

AquaAssassin

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Wonder Bread is always white with lots of colored dots.   I have several DB Smelt in Wonder Bread.  Call AJ's and ask about them?
Dick

Dots are typically red, yellow, and blue.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:45 PM »
Dots are typically red, yellow, and blue.
Absolutely correct, AA.  ;)
The best answer I know of to the OP's question is to Google DB smelt spoons.
Kittery Trading post should show up pretty close to the top.
Click on that and there will be 3-4 charts of DB smelts with names.

If you think you're going to make a short cut and go directly to KTP's website and find them, I believe it will be for naught. They had about the best selection on the seacoast, but I doubt they're carrying them now? 

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:03 AM »
x2 on the rangley special. They produced really well for us last year.

Have any of you noticed much difference in the plating on the db's or really any spoon in general. I noticed last year that with simple colors such as a blue streak the lures only produced well if the were "hammered", or had dimpling on them. I also observed that multi color schemes such as the rangley special produce best when the spoon is smooth. Anyone else or am I just thinking to much about it?

dickbaker

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2016, 06:38 AM »

I'm afraid that they may have eliminated Wonder Bread color??   I'm going to hoard all of mine until I can ask AJ to order some more!
Dick

NHAngler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Suggestion if you like a certain color... buy the tape and do it yourself and then you can update damaged ones and re-tape over those that never produce.

AJ's sells some of this tape. He may be able to order it for you if he does not have it right handy in the shop.

As for colors I think that fish are color blind; although the patterns likely matter much more and the shades of colors can affect what we think they like. I keep an assortment of those with and without dots, striped, silver/copper/gold or taped on both sides, and some different profiles (db smelt, smelt guns, top gun, etc).

Good luck!
Confidence catches fish! The rest of it is just there to keep us busy.

NHAngler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Also, AJ's makes his own version of the db smelt. I think he calls it the bb smelt. Almost identical. I think they are a tad bit smaller but look (and perform) the same. And he has lots of colors and will even make them for you if you don't see it on the wall and he has the tape for it.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:07 PM »
Also, AJ's makes his own version of the db smelt. I think he calls it the bb smelt. Almost identical. I think they are a tad bit smaller but look (and perform) the same. And he has lots of colors and will even make them for you if you don't see it on the wall and he has the tape for it.
BB guns are made by Moosalamoo, as are Top guns, Smelt guns, 61 guns etc..
AJ is a top retailer for Moosalamoo and works closely with them.

As for fish being color blind, you may want to do a little more research on that?  ???

NHAngler

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:42 PM »
BB guns are made by Moosalamoo, as are Top guns, Smelt guns, 61 guns etc..
AJ is a top retailer for Moosalamoo and works closely with them.

As for fish being color blind, you may want to do a little more research on that?  ???

Did not know that. Thanks. All I know is that he has piles of stamped out blanks and has made them in some of the patterns/colors I like when he may not have any or only have 1 of on the wall. I also prefer a single vs a treble hook.

Regarding the color blind challenge; not interested in an internet argument. My point was that it is my opinion that the pattern, profile, brightness, and other factors are likely bigger details.

zwiggles

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:43 PM »
I just picked up a bunch of db's at ktp this afternoon. They do still have them, and had a pretty good selection. Also found he wonder bread BB guns which were made by mossalamo and I picked up a few of those as well.

Mr.Harry

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2016, 09:47 AM »
I have a 'wonder bread' pattern on a couple different spoon styles. I don't fish them very much because I don't think I've ever hooked up on it. Maybe I've fished it under the wrong conditions. Give it a shot again this spring on overcast conditions. People speak highly of it. 'Rangely Special' is great pattern and has caught me some nice salmon. Don't know the # for it, but a pattern my pals and I call "Halloween" is a favorite. Black reflective tape cut on a zig-zag lengthwise over orange tape, copper back. I tend to gravitate towards spoons that have some orange on them or copper. But I think the 'hot' colors & patterns change a lot lake to lake, and with light conditions. Someone mentioned the importance of spoon profile potentially being just as, if not more important, than color; I definitely think fish see color and it's an important element but I also think there is truth to what he is saying about profile. If one isn't working, go up or down in size and change shape/outline too. Example - you take a manufacturer like Sutton co., they made something like 40 different size/shape spoons, but there isn't a lick of color on any one of them, besides the 3 available metal finishes of silver, brass, or copper. Yet they produce, and well. Sometimes you gotta run through a few #'s until you find the one they're interested in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.