FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quabbin Planer Boards  (Read 7034 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Quabbin Planer Boards
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2016, 04:46 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for sharing! 

Baitbucket

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2016, 05:09 AM »
see it for all to read!! lol's like said it's not mine but I got some plans lol's

Those look to be quite large. I dont see the over all dimensions on there, but im guessing 30"L X8"H X 1"W?

Scaling it down would be pretty easy. What are the dimensions on the ones you have made?

boondox

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Those look to be quite large. I dont see the over all dimensions on there, but im guessing 30"L X8"H X 1"W?

Scaling it down would be pretty easy. What are the dimensions on the ones you have made?

27.5  x8 x 1 all inches  close enough for it at 30 I am sure you can scale it down if need be

I think mine were 27.5 for the one I made for 109.99 for a otter boat it easier just to build one or 2 for $20... I am sure you could scale them down and find a tattle flag design on the web...you could even do a search for planer board plans if need be theirs tons out there even on pintrest...   

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Yea, and assembled they will measure something like 30-34" long x 10-12" deep x 8" high.

I ran big boards on my larger boats for years
Boats where I had lots more storage room.
And my large boards collapsed for stowage.
Still, they took up a ton of room.

I fought in-line boards for years, but a friend who used to fish walleyes on the pro circuit convinced me to try them.

They both have their pluses and minuses.

My 4 in-line boards, even with flags take up less room than one of those big boards.
For me, there's no decision anymore.

YMMV

boondox

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2016, 03:09 PM »

if you do scale it down try some thing like a church tackle walleye board size or even a tx44 you can still by clip from other boards and add the same kind of slot and mechanism as the church boards... or even come up with your own?? you can even add wire arms like that of the yellow birds it all up to the maker one thing I suggest is bright orange paint on the boards so you can see them and a good coating of spar varnish or similar so they don't split the wood wile in the water??? 

the walleye boards are what 4 or 5 inch by 12 inch by one inch are are full of styro foam.. you could go to jo-anns or Michel's and by a ton of sheet foam and use some gorilla glue to make solid layers then use some 1/2 inch thick or even 1/4 inch thick ply wood to press it  between the layers.. then glue the boards the 1/2 or 1/4 inch thick ply to the out side of the sheet foam... then cut every thing out so it floats better? then add hard ware..

by the way gorilla glue you got to moisten with water on the surfaces and then apply glue and clamp it together it is a real strong glue.... I use that glue for my foam rod grips they sell it at wall mart and most every hard ware store it is a poly urethane glue... but for sure the big ones are more of a pain In the butt most of all on small boats for storage we use to use that one on a 21 foot long bay liner trophy that was 27.5 inches long..  and still was a pain to store... but like said it would be cool to design some for your self to your specs and save money in the process none are perfect so only way to get it perfect is do it your self!   

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Yea, and assembled they will measure something like 30-34" long x 10-12" deep x 8" high.

I ran big boards on my larger boats for years
Boats where I had lots more storage room.
And my large boards collapsed for stowage.
Still, they took up a ton of room.

I fought in-line boards for years, but a friend who used to fish walleyes on the pro circuit convinced me to try them.

They both have their pluses and minuses.

My 4 in-line boards, even with flags take up less room than one of those big boards.
For me, there's no decision anymore.

YMMV

Good info, I like it!

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Good info, I like it!

Like I said, big boards work great.
But they take up a LOT of room in your boat.
And mine collapsed!!

these days, running the smaller boat, the in lines just make more sense.

Your call though.

james1981

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 09:12 AM »
bought a pair of the redirig planer boards, I will let you know how they perform next weekend. I am excited as they are really cool but still wonder how durable they will be over many seasons...   

They also look very easy to make with the right tools and know how...   

bobbyg

• Team HewesCraft
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Amish Pro Boards with Cisco dual electric planer mast using shock snubbers with the boards and you have to run 300-500 LB spectra line to the boards anything else will break. I have run this set up in 3 to 5 foot waves and it never flipped or last track.

there are other boards that will work just fine,  Amish pro boards and big jon electrics or hand crank wont work the motor isn't powerful enough to pull it back in and you can forget cranking them in by hand. so if you go with a hand crank or and electric make sure you match the board your going to use to your set up.
Negative Friends Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 09:55 AM »

FYI I have a planer board that was made to those original specs, it likes to dive in big waves (over 2')

If you were going to go big boards, i would go with the big john otter boat set up.

Eastciderida

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Read this post again in the morning then followed up with my daily check on Craigslist for things came across an ad for these bad boys and contacted the guy he still had them made the trip after work to Southborough not bad for 25 bucks seeing as how they go for over 150 on ebay. Almost brand new condition.

200fisher

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Read this post again in the morning then followed up with my daily check on Craigslist for things came across an ad for these bad boys and contacted the guy he still had them made the trip after work to Southborough not bad for 25 bucks seeing as how they go for over 150 on ebay. Almost brand new condition.

Those are the very boards I use. I've had them since 1990. You stole them! Did you get the mast?
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

Eastciderida

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Those are the very boards I use. I've had them since 1990. You stole them! Did you get the mast?
Think just parts of the mast have two short 3 foot poles. Going to mount them right in front of the console and run pulleys off the top and drill in two like hooks to just let the line out by hand. Eventually buy a dual mast to mount somewhere

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 06:54 PM »
Nice looking boards congrats!

200fisher

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Think just parts of the mast have two short 3 foot poles. Going to mount them right in front of the console and run pulleys off the top and drill in two like hooks to just let the line out by hand. Eventually buy a dual mast to mount somewhere
Ideally, the mast(s) should be located near the bow and the pulleys should be approximately 7 feet above the water line. Good luck!
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.