FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: winni may be waking up  (Read 6001 times)

61gun

winni may be waking up
« on: Jul 03, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Wife and I fished Friday afternoon 2:30 - 5:15, Sat am 6:00 - 10:15 and Sunday 6 am - 8:30
Fishing is still slow but caught a few nice fish!

Nice 22.5 inch rainbow 36' over 100'

healthy salmon, did not measure, the fish was in perfect condition and wanted to get him back in the water, wind and waves were making everything very difficult. Best salmon we have caught on Winni easily. 27' feet over 60' of water

NH_RED

Re: winni may be waking up
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Great fish! All we found were Lakers on Friday.

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2016, 07:44 PM »
Nice Ones! Thanks for sharing the pics and report

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Awesome fish. That salmon looks like a whale compared to the rainbow.

61gun

« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2016, 06:05 AM »
Awesome fish. That salmon looks like a whale compared to the rainbow.

Thanks, yes the salmon was bigger than the rainbow easily.I wish i could have measured him but with the wind, the boat all over the place and the fight he put i did not want to take the chance of him not making it. He was good enough to stay still for the pic so i owed him a quick return to the water ..haha

The Butcher

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2016, 07:12 PM »
great fish!

That is a stud of a salmon for Winni!

Nice work!

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Thanks, yes the salmon was bigger than the rainbow easily.I wish i could have measured him but with the wind, the boat all over the place and the fight he put i did not want to take the chance of him not making it. He was good enough to stay still for the pic so i owed him a quick return to the water ..haha

There ya go 61gun, that's what I'm talking about!

Congrats on your catch.

BarringtonBrad

« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2016, 08:15 AM »
Boy that is one nice chromie!

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Probably stupid question as I've been out of of the region for decades: How long has Winni been planted with rainbows? Is it a new thing or been going on for a long time? I ask because years ago when I lived in Mass (1970's)  it seems all I ever heard about was the salmon.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Btw that's a really nice rainbow and salmon 61gun. You are blessed to fish that lake and to have a wife that enjoys coming along!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

61gun

« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2016, 12:07 PM »
Probably stupid question as I've been out of of the region for decades: How long has Winni been planted with rainbows? Is it a new thing or been going on for a long time? I ask because years ago when I lived in Mass (1970's)  it seems all I ever heard about was the salmon.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Btw that's a really nice rainbow and salmon 61gun. You are blessed to fish that lake and to have a wife that enjoys coming along!

Thanks Taxid for the kind words, yes she is finally coming around and going fishing with me. Took 20 something years but better late than never (and she sure knows how to stock the boat with good eats!!!.. haha)

They have been putting them in there at least since 2001 that I have been fishing there. I think they put in something like 20,000 of them a year. I have notice that we are catching more rainbows these last few years and they also seem to be larger than in the past. Was talking to a neighbor who has been fishing winni for years and he says that the biologist told him they were moving in the direction of making winni a trophy lake fishery
and that is why the salmon fishing has been slow. Take it for what its worth, until I hear them come out and say it themselves it goes in one ear and out the other.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2016, 12:15 PM »

Thanks Taxid for the kind words, yes she is finally coming around and going fishing with me. Took 20 something years but better late than never (and she sure knows how to stock the boat with good eats!!!.. haha)

They have been putting them in there at least since 2001 that I have been fishing there. I think they put in something like 20,000 of them a year. I have notice that we are catching more rainbows these last few years and they also seem to be larger than in the past. Was talking to a neighbor who has been fishing winni for years and he says that the biologist told him they were moving in the direction of making winni a trophy lake fishery
and that is why the salmon fishing has been slow. Take it for what its worth, until I hear them come out and say it themselves it goes in one ear and out the other.

Thank you for your reply.

Is there a good forage base in Winni? I.e. smelt?  Have they ever planted browns in Winni?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ishoot308

« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Was talking to a neighbor who has been fishing winni for years and he says that the biologist told him they were moving in the direction of making winni a trophy lake fishery and that is why the salmon fishing has been slow. Take it for what its worth, until I hear them come out and say it themselves it goes in one ear and out the other.

I'm not so sure of the trophy fishery rumor, but I do know of a 26" 5.8lb salmon that was caught in Winni this year. That's the largest salmon I have seen caught in Winni since the 80's!

I have also noticed that while fishing has been slow since May, what is being caught is of nice size and health.  5 year olds are not that uncommon.

Personally for me, I had my best April yet in both quantity and quality on the big lake. Mid may through end of June however was not so good! It was like a light switch was turned off.  Catching 2 or 3 would be considered a good morning.

With the thermo-cline beginning to setup, I think things will start to pickup by the weekend...at least I hope so!

Tight lines!

Dan

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2016, 07:21 PM »

"2015 ANNUAL REPORT"
 WINNIPESAUKEE LAKE
 GILFORD LLS 1+YR 35,122
GILFORD RT 1+YR 5,835
WOLFEBORO RT 1+YR 2,320"

This is a pretty average stocking for Winni.
The numbers stocked each year are supposed to be based on fall forage data.

35,000 LLS stocked! The following year's mortality is a number that I would love to know?
The # per pound at stocking and where and when they're stocked are huge factors in their livability. 

I would not set much store on that rumor either.
There are a few other NH lakes that were set aside for trophy LLS lakes.

61gun

« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2016, 08:17 AM »
"2015 ANNUAL REPORT"
 WINNIPESAUKEE LAKE
 GILFORD LLS 1+YR 35,122
GILFORD RT 1+YR 5,835
WOLFEBORO RT 1+YR 2,320"

This is a pretty average stocking for Winni.
The numbers stocked each year are supposed to be based on fall forage data.

35,000 LLS stocked! The following year's mortality is a number that I would love to know?
The # per pound at stocking and where and when they're stocked are huge factors in their livability. 

I would not set much store on that rumor either.
There are a few other NH lakes that were set aside for trophy LLS lakes.

Good info Seahunt thanks, looks like they have upped the numbers by 10,000 on the salmon and dropped the numbers on rainbows by 12000 since I last knew them. 

BrookieSlayer99

• Trying to catch big bows and brookies!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2016, 01:43 PM »
I'm not so sure of the trophy fishery rumor, but I do know of a 26" 5.8lb salmon that was caught in Winni this year. That's the largest salmon I have seen caught in Winni since the 80's!

I have also noticed that while fishing has been slow since May, what is being caught is of nice size and health.  5 year olds are not that uncommon.

Personally for me, I had my best April yet in both quantity and quality on the big lake. Mid may through end of June however was not so good! It was like a light switch was turned off.  Catching 2 or 3 would be considered a good morning.

With the thermo-cline beginning to setup, I think things will start to pickup by the weekend...at least I hope so!

Tight lines!

Dan
Just wanted to say, 5 year old salmon would be 5 to 6 pounds and last year in the salmon nets there was 1-5 year old salmon netted, so I would say that they are actually pretty dang rare. 4 year olds are rare enough.
Also as others have stated Winni is in no direction of becoming a trophy salmon fishery... I don't know which bio said that but there is no way Winni would ever become a trophy fishery given how hard it gets hit at all times of the year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.