FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Better Rod Holders  (Read 9689 times)

Mac Attack

Better Rod Holders
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Just got back from the WNY Outdoor & Travel Show in Hamburg. Went with my son Jeff. We did some rod holder research. I've been using the plastic Scotty rod holders on the Lund. The work but the rod butts stick into the boat almost a foot on each side reducing inside room significantly. In a small fishing boat this sux. We looked at Cannon, Traxstech, and Cisco systems. Wow! Pricey. But really good stuff compared to the Scotty plastic stuff for sure. I like the Traxtech 2 or 3 rod vertical tree and their single ratchet unit for the dipseys. Sweet!!! But the single ratchet units are $163.00 each. OUCH! I can buy two Cannon ratchet units for the same $163.00. So that is probably what I will do. I think I will also go with a slightly longer mounting track and move the downriggers up onto it too. This will move my riggers forward a foot or so and make them far easier to operate. Of course the added length for the tracks will cost more $$$, as will the downrigger mounts, and the extra T-slot track mounts to mount the tracks to the Lund's gunnels. Might run an added $260.00 to get those downriggers relocated. But it will allow me to clean up the boat rigging a bit and also make the downriggers FAR easier to operate. Also make it FAR safer in rough seas too. Hard to justify this major expense with plans to sell the boat in 4 years when we move to Florida. But I have seen these type of systems selling used online for not much less than new and people scarf them up quick. So I think I will get a pretty good amount of this cash back and I'm also a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. A friend works on a local charter boat and they use the Cannons. He and Jeff have been speaking and the friend says the Cannons are really good. Now I gotta figure out how Donna will pay for this stuff.    ;)

boondox

Re: Better Rod Holders
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Why is it when we rely on quality gear it cost a arm and a leg??  But we're always willing to pay it?? Lols did you check out Bretts traxs and rod holders even though I like traxtech the best. Do you have a grab rail on your boat I forget who sells it but grab rail mounts are another option instead of aluminum tracks but I think the aluminum tracks are better.. so do a lot of charter captions.. lol's

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:24 AM »
Why is it when we rely on quality gear it cost a arm and a leg??  But we're always willing to pay it?? Lols did you check out Bretts traxs and rod holders even though I like traxtech the best. Do you have a grab rail on your boat I forget who sells it but grab rail mounts are another option instead of aluminum tracks but I think the aluminum tracks are better.. so do a lot of charter captions.. lol's

No grab rails.
As I mentioned, it's a Lund.
Lunds have Trak gunwales.
I did look at the Berts.
I don't like the trees.
No adjustability on the rod holders.
They are welded permanent to the tree.
And the pricing for the ratchet single rod holder is more than Cannon's.

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I am installing 5 of these on our boat, very stout and at $30 each, shipped on flebay, think they will work well for all but tuna fishing...

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:40 AM »
I am installing 5 of these on our boat, very stout and at $30 each, shipped on flebay, think they will work well for all but tuna fishing...

Those won't work well with dipseys.
Same reason I'm switching from my Scotties.
The ratchet type I'm going with allows you to quickly pull the holder and rod from the horizontal position to a vertical position.
This makes pulling the rod out of the holder quicker and far easier and safer.
The really heavy pull on the rod from the dipsey (or other divers like jets) makes getting the rod out of a horizontally run holder almost impossible.
This often leads to lost fish and sometimes even lost or broken rods and gear.
One lost rod setup will offset the added cost of an expensive ratchet type rod holder.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2017, 08:37 AM »

These are awesome looking, I can't find them on fleabay though?? What brand are they? Link? $30 is a steal for those.

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Google;
Adjustable Stainless Steel 316 Heavy Duty Top or Side Mounted Angle Rod Holder

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Update - I ordered the Traxstech system
My Lund dealer, Anchor Marine, gave me a decent price.
Still mega-bucks, but it's for my Lund.   8)
And they are shipping everything directly to me which saves me a trip.
Might be a week or two though before I see everything.

Here's what I ended up ordering -

2 – 36” tracks – MT-36
5 – 45 degree T-Bolt Pair of Mounts – TBM-45
2 – Low profile non-swivel downrigger base – PM-3L
2 – Vertical Tree – 2 rod holder
2 – Ratcheting Rod Holder – GT-100

I'll let you know how things work out after I get everything installed and try it all out.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 01:00 PM »
 Yes Mac, we need pics! I'm glad you're pioneering this setup, so the rest of us Rebels don't have to.  8)

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 03:02 PM »
Yes Mac, we need pics! I'm glad you're pioneering this setup, so the rest of us Rebels don't have to.  8)

:thumbup_smilie:

No problem.
I was recently thinking that I needed to get some new pictures of the rig anyway.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Woo feeken hoo!!!!

My Traxstech system arrived today.

Looks like an install this weekend.

Cool.

:clapping:

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Any updates Mac? Pics.....

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Any updates Mac? Pics.....

Shoot!

Yea, they're over on FB.

;D

Thanks for the reminder.
I'll try to get some up.
I thought I had.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2017, 01:26 PM »
Here are a few -

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Recent update -

One of the ratcheting rod holders that I use for dipsey rods has developed a problem.  It doesn't ratchet up real smooth like it did and like the other one still does.  It became really hard and makes a very loud noise.  The ratchet broke.  The system has a lifetime warranty so I contacted the company.  They said to send it back (cost me $12 UPS) and they will either repair or replace and get it back to me in only a few days.  I shipped it out today.  We'll see what happens.

Other than this recent problem, I am very satisfied with the system.  Makes fishing easier as it moved the rods up and out giving more room inside the boat.  Awesome construction and a very good system.  It wasn't cheap, but compared to everything else out there, I think it's the best avaiialbe. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.