FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Converting a fish n ski to mostly FISH!!! Suggestions?  (Read 6516 times)

sisabdulax

Hey all,  I have run a row boat for years, but I got in a trade a fish n ski! Not a huge boat 15'. Mostly cosmetic things. Stuff I am looking to do is. Raise seat up with storage inside, I am also planning on making the bow a full platform with bow mount motor and flasher. And lastly I would like to eliminate carpet, Any suggestions? Im thinking a deck paint non slip. Do you all have any other suggestions on other mods I can consider?

Mike

boondox

Re: Converting a fish n ski to mostly FISH!!! Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:05 PM »
Uv led lighting on inside along with reg white leds uv lite helps see line at night while tieing leads it makes mono glo... that and led reg running lights for some reason led is more visable..   tool holders  either magnetic like harbor freight  magnetic tool strips mounted to side of boat .. you can hang lures etc on strip too.. I would mount those with a couple zingers for towels...  zingers are those tethers on reels that retract after you let go.

. rod holders are another thing to consider.. do you have a grab rail or other type rail like is the boat aluminum or fiberglass those help decide what you can get for rod holders.. also what about rod/tackle storage..  also fish finders back and front were ever you plan to do the fishing for how every you plan to fish.....  if fishing rivers and lakes or river lakes known as resivoir lakes a anchor is another suggestion..

also power outlet's for charging: gps ,flash lights ,cell phones, etc.. or even using portable spot lites to find way off water at night.. plan locations do wiring now before you add floor decking and paint I think truck bed liner would work perfect?? But not my boat.. also what about power and charging like plan battery systems like how many.. aldo kill swiches and power distributiin etc.. and on board charging  anf maybe breakers etc.. now!! Before the decking and paint go on..  I suggest planning before you do it all at minimum..

stingers or fish box and minnow wells plan plan plan is all I can say!! As for fish boxes a large igloo or colemen marine cooler with seat cushion provides seating and fish storage while fishing.. also minnow storage  if you fish walleye or bass minnows are always used and minnow buckets take up to much room always.. maybe a big cooler and a 2 or 3 gallon bucket that fits in side of cooler??

Also plan it down even to the boat numbers if you got them cause I know in my state "michigan" the boatING regrstration number have to be contrasting color..  like white on black so they appear from a distance..  and are legable at a distance.. can't camoflauge the numbers to get out of trouble!!   Also some lakes require tag and seals else ware  and don't forget the fire extinguisher and the flares and or flare gun..

Ya do the electrical wiring etc. .  before you button it up all and paint!!! 

Also if you jig for walleyes pedestal in front and a gps trolling motor for control hooked to fish finder with some thing like I pilot?? Is always helpfull  but if trolling maybe a 2.5 to 6 hp kicker ?? Trolling socks if needed and other orgnizational devices that help with trolling .. like dipsey and planer board storage.. and even  down rigger  electriAL /storage for Canon balls to  spoons etc ..  if useing electric down riggers ..

Also plan now less wasted time later!!! Also as for paint what about truck bed coating throw a light amount of sand on top of it so you got traction when wet.. maybe even non skid tape ?? If needed?? In places needed ?? Any how I could go o forever but will cut it short hear..

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:23 AM »
What kind of boat? A friend of mine did a nice remodel of a fish and ski. He raised up the seats like you mentioned, added storage underneath, and got rid of the middle seat entirely for more storage. His boat had two full seats, and one smaller one in between. By removing the middle seat he also was able to pick bigger seats for the remaining two.

LED lights (where legal) for the inside of the gunwalls, and he also hung some on the outside of his gunwalls to illuminate for rocks when traveling at night.

Another thing he did was add additional live wells in the compartments that used to be a “cooler”.

sisabdulax

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Thanks guys. Its a 15' glasstream. I/O which I see disadvantages already but I can work around it. I only have the 2 seat driver/passenger. I raised them tall enough to stack 8 3500 series flambeagh boxes in each. The open bow I am turning into a platform to fish from with 3 storage compartments. As mentioned above I figure a large cooler with seat pads if i need more seating. Live well I am going to pass on mostly C&R. Live bait here is a headache state law wise. LED lighting underneath gunwales was a plan and suggestions on types of lights. I have looked at the ribbon style, and considered blue in color. I like the magnetic tool strip idea! On the bow I plan on mounting my vexilar from ice fishing as well as a foot control trolling motor. I wish I could do the I pilot but not in the cards right now. Rod holders I picked up a couple cannon I like them so Ill probably ad some more. Here in Colorado we can only use 2 rods so no need to go nuts there. As far as pedestal front seat do you prefer the lean on type seat or a normal seat. Im thinking regular seat. really appreciate the responses. Esspecially the smaller stuff. I planned on some of them nice to know I am on right track.

Mike

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Is this a bass fishing machine? Or trout or walleye fishing machine or even crappie blue gill fishing machine?? Every one has there preferences to fish they chase.. but set up is always different.. me I would not paint the decking if I could..

I would check in to Maine carpet or  marine vyinal .. it will pads the deck more if you drop a tool on the deck and won't spook fish as much... but like said every one has prefences  I would use like your probably doing 3/4 marine grade ply wood for deck. .  Then  use a 3/4 inch crown staples to hold the carpet down where  wrapped around...  also use marine grade glue to adhere it in centers of Carpet.. also don't want to make you cause you maybe on a bugget so consider all points ??

For waleye we set the ipiolt up for holding us over fish or matching the speed of the river for vethical jigging.. this is one thing that different then bass fishermen and also is different form crappie blue gis  etc fishermen.. some items  you need some you do not .. if fishing gills or bass  you don't need I pilot but it make life easier..

also do reasearch on lakes fished cause anchor style is effected by current..  form mushroom style to navy style to a chain anchor for rivers make sure you know which is for what.. when you buy the anchor.. 

Aldo looking at a lean post I would think would be for a bass fishermen or a walleye jigger.. not a trollING boat.. but for sure might want to check the bargin cave there is a few seats on sale right now that may work for you??  that or bass pro run the seats during the spring fising sale so look around if needed ..

also coffe cup holders compasses etc.. don't forget those..

if doing foot control motor with batteries under the decking??  your going to want a charger maintainer installed before decing goes in...  so you don't have to open it up every couple days..   or wire umder yge decking.. I am guessing a 12 volt motor?? So two or three batteries in parallel for longer run time..  probably biggest amprage posible??  if wondering kind I have had good luck with walmart batteries deep cycle .. also good luck with optima deep cycle but those are pricey.. any how give us some ideas.. what your doing with it..  were sure to come back with more for you..

sisabdulax

« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:48 AM »
I would say general fishing of large deeper lakes. I am in Colorado. Not necessarily targeting one species, but if picking a style either walleye or wipers be main focus, rivers here aren't an option. I am running 2 batteries now of a switch and using engine to charge. First upgrade. Might consider trolling at some point. Probably with planer boards, not sure on downrigger yet. The boat came with a Navigator trolling motor that mounts on out drive but it seems to have some issues, so that might go away. My concern with carpet is holding water. Am I over reacting? I grew up around a salt water environment so carpet seems weird to me. The Ipilot is nice just outta price range now. Does it work alone or do you need a gps for it to function? Big thing now is getting on the water. Wiring not huge deal to run. Going to run power up to trolling motor and flasher on bow anyway. I ran the boat some last summer just not a whole lot. Trying to know down learning curve on some options. Lights came up for night catfishing and being able to see the deck. Really appreciate the help.
Mike

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Same reason I hate carpet in a boat.
Holds water and every other piece of dirt, worm and fish slime, potato chips, etc.
None of my boats will ever have carpet again.

The ipilot has its own gps in it.

Good luck.

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Can not  wash carpet!!!  this stuff is a tad better at link below..  but your better off with rhino lineing the truck bed coating it is textured and very close to water proof once dry.. and very washable if you boat fish spill chips etc it will wash right off..   if you just paint aluminum it tends to be very loud is why I say vinyl or carpet but nice thing about your boat its fiber glass .. nice thing about rhino lining is it come in any color you want..  standard is white and black the white can be tinted to other colors  like red green blue yellow etc.. tinted with a pigment depending were or who does it the rhino lineING can be cheap or expensive.. if it was me I would do the whole inside of boat.. that way you just pull the drain plug and wash it out..

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/carpet-floor-coverings/vinyl/pc/104794380/c/104711580/sc/104672880/dorsett-marine-vinyl-floor/1316443.uts?slotId=0

boondox

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:27 PM »

..  but your better off with rhino lineing the truck bed coating it is textured and very close to water proof once dry..

yup - boon's right

I have used this in the past and works well.
Cheaper than rhino lining too.
But read the directions.
Clean the surface.
And use a decent primer.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/carpet-floor-coverings/carpet-floor-adhesive/pc/104794380/c/104711580/sc/104181480/cabelas-tuff-coat-non-skid-coating/700772.uts?slotId=1

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Here is a magnetic tool holder I am sure there is other brands..  like harbor freight which you buy some thing from harbor ?? freight they give them away free some times with their free coupons.. . which require a little mounting  ingenuity..  cause there ceramic magnet inside a metal bar that can't and should not  be bent with out shattering the magnets.. this model at hyper link can be bent to shape.   so think before you go to full customization which fit best! And is easiest to use and do..

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/storage-racks-containers/torin-magnetic-tool-organizer-stick/210rt/p-1445614144843-c-9189.htm?tid=-3659904853725528883&ipos=32

Thanks mac! that stuff good as well..

sisabdulax

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Thanks again, I was considering tuff coat or another one too durocoat I think it was. Really appreciate the info guys. Maybe have to put in some OT for an Ipilot!

boondox

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Thanks again, I was considering tuff coat or another one too durocoat I think it was. Really appreciate the info guys. Maybe have to put in some OT for an Ipilot!

It's use full but not needed the I pilot is.. if you really want it then don't let me stop you.. lol's

sisabdulax

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:04 AM »
lol, Some of the reviews on the lower end bow mounts are super reassuring. I know it wont be this year but maybe next!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 01:09 PM »
My buddy, who just blew most the budget on the boat, bought a Watersnake brand trolling motor. Significantly less money and he has been happy so far. May want to check them out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.