FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First Open Water Trip of the Year  (Read 4347 times)

taxid

Re: First Open Water Trip of the Year
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2018, 08:45 PM »
You are missing my point sir or avoiding it. Point being is how could one gripe about causing a fungus infection in a sport where just the act of catching involves ramming hooks through a fishes face.  Again I'd argue that if you care that much about the well being of a bass, you would likely not participate in a sport that involved hooking them in the face.

Hooks are usually set in cartilage that is much more forgiving then a fish's body surface which is covered in protective mucous. Fish tend to have fungal and bacterial issues on their external body surfaces. Ever catch fish missing parts of their fins? Most likely that was fungal or bacterial.

O.K. I'm done. I see I've upset off at least one of you. Sorry was not my intent.  ::)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2018, 10:22 PM »
hey taxid i have caught many fish that are missing part of their gillplate and you can see their gills. what is this called. i have seen it on everything from shiners to big stripers and any fish in between. i was wondering if there is a name for this.

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Not upset at all taxid.  Just making a point to further the discussion...try not to turn words into feelings!

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Not upset at all taxid.  Just making a point to further the discussion...try not to turn words into feelings!

Gotcha! One of the downsides to the Internet you can always interpret attitude by words alone if you can't see the person face to face.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2018, 04:26 PM »
hey taxid i have caught many fish that are missing part of their gillplate and you can see their gills. what is this called. i have seen it on everything from shiners to big stripers and any fish in between. i was wondering if there is a name for this.

You mean like this?

The name for it is gill cover erosion.

Could be a lot of things. In fish that were originally reared in a hatchery it could be caused by necrosis due to a bacterial infection from overcrowding and less then optimum water quality. Mainly too many suspended solids in the water irritating the gills and subsequently the gill covers. Could also be a Vitamin C deficiency in the artificial feed. Vitamin C only lasts so long in the feed even with stabilizers and if the feed has been stored too long the vitamin C  can be depleted. This usually occurs when the fish are still fry or fingerlings

In both wild and domestic fish it could also be genetic or due to mechanical damage in the fry or fingerling stage. 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2018, 05:37 PM »
You mean like this?

The name for it is gill cover erosion.

Could be a lot of things. In fish that were originally reared in a hatchery it could be caused by necrosis due to a bacterial infection from overcrowding and less then optimum water quality. Mainly too many suspended solids in the water irritating the gills and subsequently the gill covers. Could also be a Vitamin C deficiency in the artificial feed. Vitamin C only lasts so long in the feed even with stabilizers and if the feed has been stored too long the vitamin C  can be depleted. This usually occurs when the fish are still fry or fingerlings

In both wild and domestic fish it could also be genetic or due to mechanical damage in the fry or fingerling stage.
yes thats it thank you. i see that on a lot of fish but i see it especially a lot on mackeral and scup(porgy).

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Interesting as I rarely see it in on wild fish. What's the water quality like where the fish hatch and grow? Is the water polluted?

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Stalker where are you fishing? i catch hundreds of scup per season and have never seen that on one.
Wicked Wec

CMD1987

« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:18 PM »
I’ve seen it in the wild, mostly in smaller fish. Seen it in shiners I’ve bought as bait.

It is also common in the aquarium fish trade. Most people who breed aquarium fish tend to agree that it is a deficiency of some kind - potentially calcium. I raise rainbowfish and supplement calcium in the water to combat that issue specifically. No one really knows what it is - but I put my money on some nutrient deficiency at a key developmental point in its life cycle.

Just my two cents.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:37 PM »
Stalker where are you fishing? i catch hundreds of scup per season and have never seen that on one.
canal and buzzards bay. I catch some REALLY big ones in the canal almost up to 3lbs.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:41 PM »
Interesting as I rarely see it in on wild fish. What's the water quality like where the fish hatch and grow? Is the water polluted?
The mackeral and scup are saltwater and the areas are not polluted. but the scup may of been born in backbays where the water is polluted. and with mackeral i catch thousands of them so i am bound to catch a few with gillplate problems.

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Apr 03, 2018, 12:04 PM »
canal and buzzards bay. I catch some REALLY big ones in the canal almost up to 3lbs.

Late summer, west end.  Scup mania.  I accidentally snag them jigging a lot. 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2018, 03:04 PM »
That's where I was getting them. I have snagged everything jigging the West end. Scup Sea bass fluke I even got a 5lb tautog on a savage that I actually caught in the mouth.

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2018, 06:16 AM »
That's where I was getting them. I have snagged everything jigging the West end. Scup Sea bass fluke I even got a 5lb tautog on a savage that I actually caught in the mouth.

I got one over 8lbs same way.  9" sluggo.  Savages are the anti christ of the canal.  I remember the good old days when they didnt exist!  Now it seems like every googan and their mothers only jig those.  Makes me laugh.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2018, 12:21 PM »
i can get them for like 5 bucks and i like to swim them so thats why i throw them. there are better jigs for jigging out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.