FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I'm Hooked On This Bread!  (Read 14097 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: I'm Hooked On This Bread!
« Reply #30 on: Apr 27, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Yeah, i bought bread pans and clips and tried that method a few times. My Bride and i like the loaf in the corning casserole better. It seems to rise more. We found the poor mans bread a bit more dense and chewy.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seamonkey84

« Reply #31 on: Apr 27, 2020, 03:29 PM »
I got the bread pans already, I’ll be looking for an appropriate casserole dish in the future. Trying it with some wine yeast, it’ll need more time to rise but it should work out. Going to start a yeast starter culture with some too, at least until I find bread yeast.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Beekeeper1099

« Reply #32 on: Apr 27, 2020, 06:44 PM »
Seamonkey, do you have a BJ's wholesale near you? I get my yeast in a double 1 lb brick pack from there. Just got another and split it with my brother. Just food for thought.

seamonkey84

« Reply #33 on: Apr 27, 2020, 08:19 PM »
I do have a BJs and a membership, I didn’t think to go there... but that’s a whole lot of yeast. I guess I can’t get picky if they have it. As it is, I’m going to have to see if I still have viable yeast in one of my mead starters.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

seamonkey84

« Reply #34 on: Apr 28, 2020, 12:37 AM »
Well, it’s almost 1:30am, and I just pulled my very first loaf of bread out. The only binder clips I Could find were too small to clamp the two pans, but it rested on top just fine. The wine yeast (mix of two old open packet from back of fridge) seemed to have worked just fine too. I did hydrate and feed it the sugar for a while before to make sure it was active and alive. Mixed and set in a warm spot for 6 hours, punched and stretched, and set to rise again in pan for just over an hour before baking. Never had to touch the dough!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #35 on: Apr 28, 2020, 05:33 AM »
Very nice!
Enjoy.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #36 on: Apr 28, 2020, 07:08 AM »
Hey guys,
After you bake the bread. How do you store it? Just curious if you have any special storage to keep it at max freshness.

Thanks!
PP

seamonkey84

« Reply #37 on: Apr 28, 2020, 01:12 PM »
That is a good question, I’d assume to stick it in a plastic bag like store bought breads. It doesn’t take long for it to start to dry once cut. I really enjoyed this loaf, it’s almost gone already. Yes, it’s on the dense and chewy side, like a French bread. I’m looking to try and make my next batch with a softer crust.

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #38 on: Apr 28, 2020, 01:35 PM »
Yes, sea monkey. That is why I asked. When I made it last, I ate half of it hot with butter, so good! But the rest I put in a ziploc bag and it wasn’t nearly as good the next day. So, I made French toast and regular toast with it and it was fine, but you could tell that it lost something, similar to fresh Italian or French bread from the store.
I do the same with store bought, French toast, buttered toast, or croutons...maybe it is what it is...

seamonkey84

« Reply #39 on: Apr 30, 2020, 06:58 AM »
Based on other recipes, if you add 1-2 table spoons of oil or butter it’ll help it keep a softer crust. There’s other recipes that use milk or added powdered milk to the water. I added two tablespoons of oil to my second loaf and the crust was softer. The first rise wasn’t as fast with the oil added, so this i added the oil when I punched and stretched for the second rise.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #40 on: Apr 30, 2020, 07:29 AM »
Heres what we use to keep,our bread.

Found a plastic bowl at walmart for $2.99, turned a handle for it on my lathe. Fits our dinner plates perfectly. We put a piece of plastic wrap over the cut end or turn the cut end down on the plate if it fits. It just sits on the counter. Doesn't seem to be a need to refrigerate it.

My bread wll last about five days with no mold or staleness.

I wouldnt put it in a plastic bag. Pretty sure it will produce mold very quickly in that moist of an environment.

On another note, i just bought a two lb. bag of Red Star Instant Dry yeast on amazon for $28. Should last us a while.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #41 on: Apr 30, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Another note about yeast. It can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 years. I plan on vacuum packing portions and freezing them. Should do just fine.

Can't  believe the shortage of yeast in stores. Manufacturers say it could take months for supplies to be replenished at grocery store levels.

I'm not much of a hoarder, but I'd say buy some now if tou can.

Rg

seamonkey84

« Reply #42 on: Apr 30, 2020, 01:59 PM »
I’m maintaining my own yeast starter, not letting it get sour though.
I’ve been making a loaf a day since I started. The one I baked this morning, I added a cup of mixed berries (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry), a bit more flour, and two tablespoons of brown sugar, and glazed it with honey. Of course the cross section I did didn’t have any berries visible  :-\. The overall color is more of a purple-brown.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Apr 30, 2020, 04:25 PM »
I envy your baking abilities. That loaf looks really delicious.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #44 on: Apr 30, 2020, 06:06 PM »
That looks great SM...  Nice job....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.