FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cape Cod Canal Closed to Commercial Striped Bass Fishing  (Read 6267 times)

taxid

Re: Cape Cod Canal Closed to Commercial Striped Bass Fishing
« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2020, 07:21 AM »
If thats the case, this season will be no different, and people will be bitching again. Ive seen alot of awful and illegal nuts go on for a long time. As soon as money is involved, things change faster than you can blink an eye. Hell they may be using this just as an excuse to end commercial fishing there.

Will, that reminds me of a situation we used to have our here on the Great Lakes in Michigan when I was in college. People were snagging salmon and trout on their spawning runs, cutting them open, removing the eggs to sell on the open market and dumping the carcases back into the water. Now I realize the kings and cohos die anyway, but it was not limited to the salmon.

But yeah when money is involved...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Steve H.

« Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2020, 04:48 PM »
Will, that reminds me of a situation we used to have our here on the Great Lakes in Michigan when I was in college. People were snagging salmon and trout on their spawning runs, cutting them open, removing the eggs to sell on the open market and dumping the carcases back into the water. Now I realize the kings and cohos die anyway, but it was not limited to the salmon.

But yeah when money is involved...

Sucks when that's happening to steelhead and browns.  I've heard there's a big market for brown trout roe as it "holds up the best."
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2020, 07:04 AM »
I have never fished the canal and do not plan to anytime soon. With that said, it will now make it VERY easy for the EPO's to enforce it since it's a recreational guys, every day and night of the week. Now, that's if the EPO's decide to show their faces.   
Wicked Wec

ICEHOLE

« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2020, 07:48 AM »
I almost got my commercial permit this year, glad I didn't.
I try to avoid people for the most part when fishing the canal,  but during daylight hours its hard. Fishing can be sporadic and people can see when u hook up. So when  people see a fish they move in. But I will say 90% of the people I meet are good dudes just like everyone on here posting about how its a nuts show. I know when im hooked up its hard to care about anything else around me
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

Knot there yet

« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2020, 11:37 AM »
Nice
No boats
No commercial
Just “ You keep you keep”
Close that cattle chute to all fishing. No sport in it “you keep you keep”

ICEHOLE

« Reply #20 on: Jun 11, 2020, 09:33 AM »
No sport in it? But having a boat with every fish finding electronic  circling groups of other boats because someone hooked up would be more sport? Not everyone has a boat, infact most dont
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

CMD1987

« Reply #21 on: Jun 11, 2020, 12:19 PM »
I have to say ... I am in favor of the new regulations. Seems like an unpopular opinion, but I like the idea of keeping it recreational.

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Jun 11, 2020, 04:18 PM »
I have never fished the canal and do not plan to anytime soon. With that said, it will now make it VERY easy for the EPO's to enforce it since it's a recreational guys, every day and night of the week. Now, that's if the EPO's decide to show their faces.

Haha in over a decade there I was checked 1x.

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Jun 11, 2020, 04:19 PM »
No sport in it? But having a boat with every fish finding electronic  circling groups of other boats because someone hooked up would be more sport? Not everyone has a boat, infact most dont

Yoyo-ing bunker and killing small bass doing it is not sporting. It's funny how many people know absolutely nothing about commercial fishing for striped bass.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #24 on: Jun 11, 2020, 05:31 PM »
Haha in over a decade there I was checked 1x.
I've been checked a fair amount of times there in my short life so far. was just checked on Monday. I have 3 epos personal #s ready to go if I need. they have shown up the times I have used them.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #25 on: Jun 11, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Yoyo-ing bunker and killing small bass doing it is not sporting. It's funny how many people know absolutely nothing about commercial fishing for striped bass.
its all bite chasers. I have commercially fished Chatham and ccb for years and we call it the mosquito fleet. they would gaff everything regardless of size. it gets brutal. ill dig into my old phone and look for the photos of the litteral 700+ boat fleet 3 miles east of Chatham from 2010 to 2016

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Jun 11, 2020, 08:12 PM »
its all bite chasers. I have commercially fished Chatham and ccb for years and we call it the mosquito fleet. they would gaff everything regardless of size. it gets brutal. ill dig into my old phone and look for the photos of the litteral 700+ boat fleet 3 miles east of Chatham from 2010 to 2016

Oh I remember those days vividly, mainly because the striper fishing was WAY better back then.  I remember when the stripers would feed on the surface in the canal every morning.  Or when I could find fish by riding the canal listening for tail slaps at night.  Or the spots that always had schoolies.  In the earlier years I went 3 years without getting skunked having always known where to catch a quick schoolie or 7. I miss those days...or the days where a handful of us would be out all night fishing in tropical storms that came close by.  I miss the place terribly but it isnt what it was and I'll be long dead before I accidentally give up my spots and when I fish them.  The last 30lber I landed there I got swarmed by over 50 people.  F that. 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #27 on: Jun 11, 2020, 09:07 PM »
Oh I remember those days vividly, mainly because the striper fishing was WAY better back then.  I remember when the stripers would feed on the surface in the canal every morning.  Or when I could find fish by riding the canal listening for tail slaps at night.  Or the spots that always had schoolies.  In the earlier years I went 3 years without getting skunked having always known where to catch a quick schoolie or 7. I miss those days...or the days where a handful of us would be out all night fishing in tropical storms that came close by.  I miss the place terribly but it isnt what it was and I'll be long dead before I accidentally give up my spots and when I fish them.  The last 30lber I landed there I got swarmed by over 50 people.  F that.
still places you can catch crap tons of schoolies. every night I take a ride to get a snack and stop and catch 10 schoolies in 10 casts along the way. hell I catch schoolies on the fly regularly in a popular canal area

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Jun 12, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Sounds like they need to just enforce the law but are taking the easy way out. If the com guys aren't the problem this won't stop the issues

I am sure there are a few bad comm guys but for everyone not intimate with the canal two things really put a fork in it.  Facebook and then On The Water.  It some point I don't think you can claim to be a sportsman when you burn a spot to no end for commercial gain. 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #29 on: Jun 14, 2020, 09:34 PM »
the army corps want to stop all commercial gain from the canal. they banned all the boats from selling off the dock in the marina as well. ill net the big floaters at the mouths every Monday and Wednesday and put them to use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.