FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My first rod  (Read 6272 times)

princecraft

My first rod
« on: Jul 13, 2020, 02:07 PM »
This is the first rod and reel I ever owned.  My dad gave me this rod and reel when I was about 10 years old.  I am 78 years old now.  The rod is a true temper and the reel is a south bend.  The rod is an all steel square rod.  I did a little research on this and what I found is that the rod is about 90 years old and the reel about 70 years old.  I don't know how old it was when my dad gave it to me but I know it wasn't new.  I am trying to figure out if I want to keep it, sell it, donate to museum, or give it to my grandson.  Probably give it to my grandson.  He really loves to fish and really wants a bait caster. But I don't know if he would use something that old. 

Mac Attack

Re: My first rod
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2020, 02:40 PM »
You shouldn't use it to fish anymore.
Why take any chances it would get lost, stolen, or broken.
There is far better equipment for fishing.
On the other hand, your grandson would cherish it and probably pass it down someday to his kid or grandkid.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Leave it to someone you want to have it.......in your will. Until then, hang it on the wall and enjoy all the memories it produces. Tell your grandson all the stories attached to it and where it came from. Leave it to him if it's appropriate.

I'm 70 and give considerable thought to how I want my collections to be handled when I'm gone.
If you sell it , you betray a trust.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:39 PM »
You shouldn't use it to fish anymore.
Why take any chances it would get lost, stolen, or broken.
There is far better equipment for fishing.
On the other hand, your grandson would cherish it and probably pass it down someday to his kid or grandkid.

Do both! Show him/let him use yours first, and then give him something with modern tech. With any luck he will appreciate them both!

oatkasut

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2020, 07:47 PM »
I remember them!Don't have anything like that now, only a brittle bamboo fly rod my Dad put together. I never use it since it would break! Great memories.

slipperybob

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2021, 12:20 AM »
Whoah!  Vintage collector treasure.

I remember seeing a few worn out steel rods when I was a kid,  The first rod my father gave me to use was a Zebco 5'6" rod with two steel line guide and a steel tip of which there was a groove on it.  Obviously I was using the Zebco classic 33 on that rod and occassionally the screw that held the plate and reel on the handle would loosen and the reel will bounce off.

When I got older and I borrowed his Fenwick two piece rod...well one day fishing off the side of the dam I lost the front section into the drink.  So then I outgrew that and had to go buy my own rods.  Of course it had to be a Zebco Rhino rod from either K-mart or Walmart at that time.  Zebco 33 wasn't doing it anymore.  The reel I got afterwards was a Shakespeare Alpha XT reel.  That clunky reel still performs to this day.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

tomturkey

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:11 AM »
I just gave my grandson the two Herters Brown Tone rods that my dad built for me back in the late 60's.

My first rod was a heavy bamboo rod with a reel with no level wind. I picked a lot of birds nests out of that reel.

I just sold some old steel telescoping fly rods that were my dad's.

iceman260

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:26 AM »
I have two of those old steel rods ,they were my dads they will be passed down to grand children. My first rod was a Shakespeare wonder rod and wonder reel push button model. Still have the rod and reel but the reel no longer works.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:37 AM »
Found this old square rod in my dads garage after he died. Don’t know who’s it was.  Not sure what it is made of. Looks like aluminum.
 It has an Atlas reel on it

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2021, 07:45 AM »
That’s pretty cool Dom. A Great Wall hanger.

The cirst rod I remember was a round steel rod about as tall as I was...4’ or so. I remember black braided line on that old steel bait casting reel. And...a lot of tangles.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2021, 11:30 AM »
Bob, I had the same one!I learned how to untangle backlashes many times and became an expert! Makes you want to take up another hobby. :laugh: :laugh:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:53 PM »
Already got one........more. Check out the “Little Wood Shop”.

Bob

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:04 AM »
Don’t know that’s the way it was.
 There’s no anti reverse so I guess it really wouldn’t matter what way you want it.. ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.