Fishing Media > Fishing Pictures

Big Carp Chronicles

(1/23) > >>

rgfixit:
Thought I’d share some carp pics. I’ve been learning Euro style carping the past few years and I’m finally having some success.
Yesterday from the boat.

Last night I put out a pound or so of boiled feed corn in an area of the canal with really nice bank access. Went down at 5:am this morning. Shot out some pack bait and  canned sweet corn. ( I made a bait launching sling shot that works great)
A nice 10-12 lb.

This one was probably my PB. I had a devil of a time lifting it out of the water. Had to be 25+ ( I’m buying a scale and weighing sling)

Another in the 15 lb range.

I’m using a pack bait made from Panko, whole corn and strawberry Jello with the liquid from the corn and a little water to make a nice packable mix.On a hair rig I put 2 kernels of boiled field corn and 1   Silicone imitation kernel. The boiled corn is soaked in pure vanilla and water. I also add a smear of ProCure Gel Corn scent.

I caught all three fish on the same bait. Meaning I didn’t change or add to that bait at all for 3 big fish. The little fish kept nibbling on the hair rig but couldn’t get anything off of it.

I’m using bank sticks I made with Lixada bite alarms and I bought myself a super comfy bank chair from Wally World.

The rod I’m using is an Ugly Stick 8’ heavy catfish rod. The reel is a reasonably priced Quantum Optix Qx 40 with about 200 yds of 30 lb Spyder Wire Easy Braid.

Never thought I’d need anything this heavy but these fish are brutes. I’m sure I’m going to tear up the reel and have my eye on a Penn salt water bait runner reel.

For weight I’m using 20-66 gram method feeders. They’re a sliding weight that I can fill with pack bait above the hair rig.  The hair rig caught all 3 fish in the lower right corner of the lip. I can’t explain why it was always the right side, but it was.

It’s taken me some time to get this style of fishing down and I’ve had many a skeptical day. But done right it works like nothing else I’ve ever attempted for big carp.

If anyone wants any info just let me know. Until then I’ll keep posting my successes and failures.

Carpe diem !

Rg

rgfixit:
Yeah, I never did understand just shooting them. What a waste.

Rg

rgfixit:
Another fine morning carpin’

6 in 3 hours. Couple pretty big ones and the rest are average .....I guess. There was one piece of log I was trying to pull in with a rope and some weight but I couldn’t get ahold of it. The first carp took care of it for me. It went straight for it and wrapped it up. Got the carp and the log all at once. Thank heavens for 30 lb braid.

I’ve decided to go buy a collapsible cart. I’m getting too old to carry all the stuff I’m using. Used to be able to drive right to the area I’m fishing, but the town did a major  clearing along the shoreline and now prohibit any motor vehicles.

Just as well anyway. They did a really nice job and the local rednecks used to tear up the grass doing doughnuts. The slobs used to trash the place with litter too. Don’t see any of that now either.

Rg

rgfixit:
Didn’t take long to find a nice cart.

Should work out well. I’ll find out in the morning.

Rg

zwiggles:
I like the cart and the carp!

Where did you get the cart? It looks slick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version