FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This weekend?  (Read 2472 times)

Steve H.

This weekend?
« on: Mar 29, 2022, 05:21 AM »
Anyone plan to fish the opening weekend for salmon?  Not me, I'm going to wait a couple weeks for that.  Hoping to put the boat in at Alton on the 16th or 17th. 

If it's nice on Sunday, I might take my canoe out for a paddle in a small pond and make a few casts for bass/pickerel or whatever just to get the rust off. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

AquaAssassin

Re: This weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Work again Saturday, I’m taking Sunday off. I need a mental health day. I’ll probably hold off on the Salmon and big Rainbows as well.

I found a spot hiking last Sunday where I’m positive I saw a pair of Salters stuck in a bend at low tide. I’m going to go back Sunday with my 5 wt. and some small Clousers and catch one. Haven’t got any Saltwater Brookies since before responsibilities. A few random Smelt fishing by accident but, I’m going to attempt to change that Sunday.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2022, 07:15 AM »
Not sure, I just pulled the boat up from the back 40 last weekend. Still a lot of work to get to troll-ready but if I get motivated I might just grab the fly rod and shore fish somewhere. More likely I will take the time to get the boat ready.

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2022, 09:04 AM »
I will be out. Probably not trolling, but I just got a new whip and will cruise the big lake and take a gander.

The long rod also sounds like a good idea. I’ve been searching for anadromous swimmers too, but just a few WP sighted so far.

Steve H.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2022, 09:13 AM »
just a few WP sighted so far.

Hmmm...not a bad idea if it's too windy on Sunday for the canoe.  Maybe I'll check out the Squamscott or Taylor.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Steve H.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2022, 09:20 AM »
I found a spot hiking last Sunday where I’m positive I saw a pair of Salters stuck in a bend at low tide. I’m going to go back Sunday with my 5 wt. and some small Clousers and catch one.

Good luck!

Roccus

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2022, 08:51 AM »
with the price of gas what it is, I think I'll put my efforts on flounder and haddock and sea run white perch until the real fish get here...I drove 1122 miles on my ice fishing vacation... I got my credit card bill Monday.. 317 bucks worth of gas for a weeks fishing.

bikrsrule

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2022, 10:59 AM »
If I can find enough open water I will be out on winnie on friday, going scouting tomorrow. Did 3 outings last week to make sure everything was working as it should, landed 2 rainbows on wed, 1 brown on Friday and 2 more browns on Saturday..
All trolling 4 on downrigger and 1 on flat line.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2022, 11:24 AM »
with the price of gas what it is, I think I'll put my efforts on flounder and haddock and sea run white perch until the real fish get here...I drove 1122 miles on my ice fishing vacation... I got my credit card bill Monday.. 317 bucks worth of gas for a weeks fishing.

Agreed, exactly what I’ll be doing.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2022, 04:41 PM »
If I can find enough open water I will be out on winnie on friday, going scouting tomorrow. Did 3 outings last week to make sure everything was working as it should, landed 2 rainbows on wed, 1 brown on Friday and 2 more browns on Saturday..
All trolling 4 on downrigger and 1 on flat line.

Any pics? That sounds like a wonderful “shakedown cruise” 👍

winnicookie

« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2022, 05:00 PM »
I was gonna try alton bay but the cold Temps and white caps chased me away. I'm aiming for Tuesday.

Steve H.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:30 AM »
I was gonna try alton bay but the cold Temps and white caps chased me away. I'm aiming for Tuesday.

Did you get out?  If so, how'd you do? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.