FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Moosehead vs Mooselook  (Read 1881 times)

Rainbow1

• Greenland Cove
Moosehead vs Mooselook
« on: Aug 08, 2022, 06:07 AM »
Any thoughts?

I've fished Mooselokmeguntic and loved it due to no skunks and a PB brookie.  Affordability is not what it used to be though.

Moosehead seems a little more affordable, but how does the fishing compare?

I don't get alot of time off and want to make it count.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Moosehead vs Mooselook
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2022, 11:19 AM »
Mooselook is having a problem with prolific, undersized salmon and has for years. I believe the bag limits are vastly increased and there may possibly be no minimum size- check the regs, I haven't fished there for a while. If you want to do it on the cheap, you can primative camp with Stephen Phillips Memorial at a number of their remote sites. We stopped fishing there because the salmon fishing, while non-stop, was boring. You could have 50 salmon days there, and if one was over 10" you were lucky. The upper lake, Cupsuptic, was always a ghost town for us. If you are mobile with your own boat, Richardson is right around the corner with big lake trout fishing. Great catch and release fly fishing opportunities at both middle and upper dams. Can also spend a day at Rangeley if you like, so there are a lot of options in the area, including some remote, back country, mountain trout ponds- even one with possible bluebacks if you look hard enough. I always camped when I was there because of the lack of on the lake lodging options. Eventually I started camping on Richardson instead with South Arm Campground and their remote sites just because the fishing was better, especially the fly fishing opportunities.

Moosehead has plenty of lodging options in almost all price ranges. Salmon are fewer and farther between, but a chance of much greater size. Lakers are easy to target there if you are into that. I personally haven't had much brookie success on the big lake but you hear of big ones being landed there frequently. Probably need more patience and skill then I possess. Huge lake with some warm water fishing opportunities if you are into that. Really depends on what your goal is- if you want to increase the odds of a wallhanger then I'd say Moosehead is the right choice, but if you are just looking to spend a weeks vacation fishing and enjoying solitude then you might like Mooselook better. But certainly if you want lakeside accommodations you'll have many more options at Moosehead. Marinas on the lake and multiple refueling options, even lakeside food options. There are also fly fishing opportunities all over the place.

In my opinion, if you are basing it on the fishery alone, Moosehead is the right choice. 

Ryan51993

Re: Moosehead vs Mooselook
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2022, 08:49 AM »
Never fished moosehead but I was on mooselook last week and I was shocked at how easy it was to catch nice brookies. Pretty much got bites instantly everywhere I tried in the 40-60 foot range. Didn't catch any salmon but wasn't really trying. And I only fished the Cupsuptic part because it was less windy than the main lake. If your renting a boat the rentals in the area leave a lot to be desired. A lot of places simply didn't answer the phone or reply to messages at all. Others were insanely priced for beat up old boats

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.