FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Foraged a Few, Caught a Couple  (Read 818 times)

bogtrotter

Foraged a Few, Caught a Couple
« on: Oct 22, 2022, 05:29 PM »
Despite an exceedingly chilly (36 degrees) early morning, later in the day proved to be truly beautiful - -  with sunny, blue skies and temps that actually reached 70 degrees at one point, and colorful foliage still blanketing the hillsides.

During the late morning/early afternoon, I went mushrooming with a friend, and we did pretty well. 

In addition to a bunch of shaggy manes, we also found a hen of the woods and even some ramp bulbs.

After returning from foraging, I decided to honor my kilt-wearing Highland Scot ancestors (whom the English called "red shanks") by taking what I expect to be my last wet-wading (swim trunk and krocs) excursion of the year from 2:30 to 4 PM.

Man, that water was cold! 

But fortunately I didn't have to wade very deep since I was fishing my usual milk run along the South Branch of the Hoosic.

I lost a nice fish by Mullen Mayflower, landed a small (11") rainbow about half way between the Burnett Bednarz bridge and the foot bridge along the Bike Trail, and caught a larger (13") one a little below Old Stone Mill.

After fishing downstream as far as Elm Rock without any more action (other than some false strikes by drifting leaves), I headed back to my car and drove home.

There, I held a cook-out featuring a chicken stir-fry with vegetables, rounded out by the ramps and hen-of-the-woods that I'd gathered earlier in the day, and washed it down with a Smithwick's red ale.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Foraged a Few, Caught a Couple
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2022, 06:56 AM »
Sounds like a great day to me..👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.