My Fish Finder Main > General Fishing Discussion

6 and 7 pound bass caught at the same time with the same rapala

<< < (3/3)

fishinator:
Since you don't sell them for food, can you give them anything to bulk them up? Like some HGH for fish? Guess that would be FGH?

taxid:

--- Quote from: fishinator on Nov 08, 2022, 04:32 PM ---Since you don't sell them for food, can you give them anything to bulk them up? Like some HGH for fish? Guess that would be FGH?

--- End quote ---

Unlike mammals fish don't respond to hormones or any kind of growth enhancer to increase growth or muscle mass. However with some fish if you add a male hormone to their feed when they are in the early fry state you can produce male only fish, and if you add estrogen you can produce female only fish. This is due the fact that many fish do not become male or female until later in the fry stage. This is why some waters that receive treated wastewater are producing a proponderence of female bass due to estrogen released in female urine into the wastewater from birth control pills.

Many but not all of the tilapia on the market are fed methyl testosterone in the early fry stage to produce all males as males grow faster and larger than the females. It seems concerning, but the MT is long gone once the fish reaches market size. I wanted to produce all male trout because feeding females is a waste of feed as most taxidermists want male trout in full spawning colors. However I needed permission to purchase the methyl testosterone, but the government refused to give me permission even though they are not for the food market. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version