FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Here’s A Knot Perch Fishers Should Know  (Read 3772 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Here’s A Knot Perch Fishers Should Know
« on: Nov 08, 2022, 12:09 PM »
The “T Knot”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KL8ej_8jMs

Just bumped into it. It’s a dropper loop on steroids.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

kc

Re: Here’s A Knot Perch Fishers Should Know
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2022, 05:07 PM »
Hey Rugburn that looks like a lot work to make that knot out on the ice.
Forget the first part of that knot and just tie the second part. I have been doing that for 45 plus years. Super simple.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2022, 09:53 PM »
Well, I’m not “rugburn” and I tied a dozen leaders at the bench in about 15 minutes. I’ll just take them with me.

I’ve also tied dropper knots for longer than I can remember ( which isn’t that long at my age). They always get tangled around the main line.

Anyway, a very useful knot that’s really easy to tie. It’s always good to try something new.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2022, 08:13 AM »
These will keep them from your main line.
I have used them for years very successfully.

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2022, 08:33 AM »

I use droppers soft and hard water nothing fancy and easy to tie , they are only perch 😉

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2022, 02:15 PM »
These will keep them from your main line.
I have used them for years very successfully.

Yeah, I’ve had those. Too much hardware for me. I have 3 way swivels I use trolling but not for shore fishing. Tested out a couple of the t- knot leaders today. Worked pretty well. Droppers are fine for trolling, drifting or ice fishing. Trolling and drifting they’re being dragged. Ice fishing they’re straight up and down.

Chucking bait from shore, still fishing, is a different story. That’s what I’m doing.

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2022, 05:12 PM »
 Some times perch like slack line ,which puts the baits on or close to the bottom
 Tight line isn’t always the answer even from the boat, but what ever anyone is comfortable stick to it

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2022, 04:27 AM »
You’re right about that Fred. It’s been too windy the past couple days to try and leave a slack line. Been blowing east or wast right down the canal. But, I’m catching perch. That’s what counts.

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2022, 06:04 AM »

Your right RG it sure has been windy
 Glad your catching those tasty striped devils , I haven’t perch fished in a couple weeks , as my fishing partner is busy guiding steelhead
 But I’ve been doing some casting for eyes with some success , takes a lot of energy casting sticks with this wind

Johnnh

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2022, 07:07 AM »
I have used the Dropper Loop knot fishing for many species.
Salt water in 350 + feet of water for cod and pollock with a 16 once jig and one or two drop loops at 2 and 4 feet above the jig. We use large plasics on the drop loop hooks 5.0 salt hooks.

The same method works well all the way down to 2lb test when fishing for perch, trout, bass, sunfish, etc.
The difference is light tackle including plastics,  flys or eggs.

Once you learn how to tie dropper loops (takes about 1 minute), you will never buy drop shot rigs again.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2022, 10:44 AM »
Yeah Ken I'll stick with the way you showed me. Don't think I could pull the "T" knot off on 3 lb. test with cold fingers.
Used the dropper loops with floating jigs heads for bullhead last spring and it was on fire. Three guys with me landed 3 fish total to my 18.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Double surgeons knot.  Works for all my dropper needs from fresh to salt.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2022, 02:44 PM »
Yeah Ken I'll stick with the way you showed me. Don't think I could pull the "T" knot off on 3 lb. test with cold fingers.
Used the dropper loops with floating jigs heads for bullhead last spring and it was on fire. Three guys with me landed 3 fish total to my 18.

Ha! 3 lb test with my eyes and 2 pairs of glasses wouldn’t work for me. But it’s works well with 8-25 lb leader.heavier the line, the better it stands off. It’s not an impossible knot to tie.try it a couple times just for fun. You’ll find it’s KNOT difficult.

greenhornet73

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2022, 08:13 PM »
Good knot to know in a pinch but I like the 3 way swivel with a 3” fluoro leader, at least with live minnows, because they can really twist up the line otherwise. Been using the rig all fall for perch and haven’t had a twisted line yet. I think I would like the knot better for ice fishing though for a more stealthy presentation

kc

« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2022, 07:00 AM »
Well, I’m not “rugburn” and I tied a dozen leaders at the bench in about 15 minutes. I’ll just take them with me.

I’ve also tied dropper knots for longer than I can remember ( which isn’t that long at my age). They always get tangled around the main line.

Anyway, a very useful knot that’s really easy to tie. It’s always good to try something new.

rgfixit, sorry I mentioned the wrong person. As being close to your age, my eyes aren't that good either.
On that note, the second half of that knot is super simple to tie. And the resulting loop works very well to tie on a couple of my perch flies while ice fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.